Breaker Box Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Breaker box question

I had a question earlier about a fuse panel. Please see that one too.
I sold a house and the old house i sold had a inspection and ti was required/requested that the panel be upgraded.

The electrician is quoted here what he said.
Electrical service in this house needs to be addressed. The service entrance wires and the overhead wires from the pole to the house are rated for less then the main breaker in the house panel . I would propose to change out he existing panel to a 200 amp panel and meter socket. A 2 inch ridged conduit from the meter socket up through the roof, with the new over head wires. From the meter socket to the panel, 2 inch PVC would be used. All grounding will be brought upo to code.

Now my question, it appears to me that this post from the house I sold contradicts from the house i am buying. I think I am or did get housed somewhere . Can someone help me.

Advertisement

szcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,492

Breaker box question

There is no electrical reason to replace panel just because it has fuses. Fuses are just as safe as breakers if maintained properly. It's negotiating points for buying and selling the house.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,802

Breaker box question

I don't see the post about the fuse panel. Can you link to it?

The overhead wires from the pole to the house are sized differently and are not sized by the NEC tables. Your electrician should have known this.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

Breaker box question

click on my name to check for the other post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Breaker box question

Joed
I am not sure what you mean about fuses. that was not an issue that I talked about. There was no mention of fuses?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Breaker box question

You did mention fuses, and Joed thought you were talking about that (I think you were referring to a different house).

What is the Main Breaker size on the panel you're referring to now? If the Service Entrance wires (those from the drop to the meter, and those from the meter to the panel) are too small for the Main Breaker, then you would need to upgrade those wires.

As to whether or not you need to upgrade the panel, that will depend on how much power you'll be using, as determined by a Demand Load Calculation.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #7

Breaker box question

sorry about that communication issues. These are both panels with breakers.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #8

Breaker box question

Sir spark, the house I am buying has 125 amp wire going into my 100 amp panel. I was told by a second electrician, this would work.

As far as the other house I sold and they said i needed to replace the breaker box, i wrote what he quoted because i did not understand completely. But, it appears that this house i sold had a panel replaced when it did not need to be? or the house am buying needs to be replaced/upgraded?

I was told that as long as the wires leading to/from the panel were bigger than the panel that was ok. Well in the house I sold, it sounds like he wanted to replace a panel with a larger amp than what the wires are. This part is what sounds incorrect to me? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,036

Breaker box question

The conductors from the meter base to the panel must be sized for the main breaker (current rating equal to or greater than the main breaker). The service drop itself is not under NEC jurisdiction, it's governed by the NESC and is the utility's responsibility. It is common for the service drop conductors to be smaller than what the NEC would allow for the rated service ampacity. This is fine. The NESC has a very different approach to conductor current ratings and overcurrent protection.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

Breaker box question

Szcott, Anytime the main breaker panel needs to be upgraded, so do the wires outside. It's the Main Breaker and the wires attached to it, and the Meter socket that counts. Everything must be sized properly.

I think I'm correct in saying that 125amp (#1 Copper/ #2 Aluminum) wire going to the meter socket and to the panel is fine for 100amp Main Breaker, UNLESS there's a Derating issue that I'm not aware of).
Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #11

Breaker box question

mpoulton, I guess I have my terms incorrect. I understood the "Service Drop" to be the wires going up the riser to the weather head, and connecting to the POCO's wires (which I know aren't our responsibility). Am I wrong, apparently?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,492

Breaker box question

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcott View Post
Joed
I am not sure what you mean about fuses. that was not an issue that I talked about. There was no mention of fuses?
had a question earlier about a fuse panel. Please see that one too

Advertisement