DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Breaker Box Directly Under Meter Box Help! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/breaker-box-directly-under-meter-box-help-14437/)

day7102 12-14-2007 09:37 PM

Breaker Box Directly Under Meter Box Help!
 
We have 2 meters 1 for the house & 1 for the garage. 220 3 phase going into garage. Problem is only 1 phase is working. Everything running off 110 is okay but the air compressor needs 220. Power co came out and said fuse/breaker in box under the meter box (which he left untaged for access) is may be bad or just needs to be reset. We went out tonight and tried to reset it and it won't reset so we have lost all power to the garage. Not sure where to go from here. Power co said full power is coming into the meter box so they won't do anything else. To change the fuse(s) do we need to have the power co shut the power off at the meter? We did not take the panel off where the reset switch is since we were using a flashlight in the dark. Does anyone know if there are fuses or breakers or what?

frenchelectrican 12-15-2007 12:56 AM

I dont know where ya from but there is one issue will come up is that the 3 system is little tricky to trobleshooting if you dont understand this.

you have a fuse or circuit breaker below the meter box ??

and how good are you with electrical system ? if not really conftable i will suggest to get a electricican to come out and check it out.

and if you want to troubleshoot it please post it back here we will go from there.

P.S. the 3 system in resdential area useally are delta set up but once a while wye connected i will expain more later.

Merci, Marc

Little while ago we did have the tread discussed with this set up and i am sure it will be very simuair what you have now

nap 12-15-2007 10:30 AM

Not meaning to be condscending but from the tenor of the original post, I would strongly suggest hiring an electrician. You sound a bit too unkowing for me to offer advice that could put your life in jeopardy.

the comment,
Quote:

Does anyone know if there are fuses or breakers or what?
really bothers me. If you do not understand the situation to this great of extent, I really would suggest calling an electrician. It does not take but one mistake for it to be your last.

If you should attempt to undertake this, just be damn careful you know what can kill you and don't touch that.



this is a shout out to say hi to french277 , petey, and any other members I am familiar with from another forum we both frequent.

day7102 12-15-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 80757)
Not meaning to be condscending but from the tenor of the original post, I would strongly suggest hiring an electrician. You sound a bit too unkowing for me to offer advice that could put your life in jeopardy.

the comment,
really bothers me. If you do not understand the situation to this great of extent, I really would suggest calling an electrician. It does not take but one mistake for it to be your last.

If you should attempt to undertake this, just be damn careful you know what can kill you and don't touch that.



this is a shout out to say hi to french277 , petey, and any other members I am familiar with from another forum we both frequent.

Thank You so much for taking the time to respond to the post. Just wanted you to know an electrician friend of ours said the breaker could not be taken out and replaced because the box was too rusted. A master electrician friend of our sons is going to change the whole thing out for us tomorrow. I didn't mean to sound so dumb in the post. I actually can wire switches but I don't mess with anything more than that. My husband is pretty good at working with electric but has never changed out a whole meter box before. Thanks again for your time Jean

day7102 12-15-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 80718)
I dont know where ya from but there is one issue will come up is that the 3 system is little tricky to trobleshooting if you dont understand this.

you have a fuse or circuit breaker below the meter box ??

and how good are you with electrical system ? if not really conftable i will suggest to get a electricican to come out and check it out.

and if you want to troubleshoot it please post it back here we will go from there.

P.S. the 3 system in resdential area useally are delta set up but once a while wye connected i will expain more later.

Merci, Marc

Little while ago we did have the tread discussed with this set up and i am sure it will be very simuair what you have now

Thanks for your time. We have an electrician who is going to change out the whole box. The breaker is a Siemans 200 amp. The box is pretty rusted so we will not be able to change it out. Thanks again!!!

nap 12-15-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by day7102 (Post 80774)
Thanks again for your time Jean

You are welcome and glad to hear you have a good plan of action.

When I was an apprentice, I had a journeyman that kept telling me something.

"We work with silent death. You can't see it, you can;t hear it but it can bite you and it can kill you."

Not that I intend to make others paranoid but that statement is always in the back of my mind.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.