DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Breaker box

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  jrclen 
#1 ·
Is there any standard as to how a breaker box needs to be mounted in a residential application?
Reason I ask is I would like to mount one sideways surface mounted on the wall.
It is a 200A panel with 40 spaces.

Also what is the standard mounting height?

Thanks.

#5 ·
On must be Up. This precludes the mounting of panels on their side.

The middle of the handle of the highest breaker can be no higher than 2 meters or 6'7".

#8 ·
Another ? I have is this...

Is there a limit to how many double pole breakers that can be installed in a 40 circuit box?

I ask because I have radiant heat and each room is a separate zone so I have seven 20A double pole breakers already plus the one for the oven, the range top, water pump, the welder, and the portable heater outlet in the garage.

So I am wondering how many are allowed in a box and if there is a limit.

#14 ·
Andy,

I disagree, the panel label will show if and where the tandems can be used. The 40 circuit panels I have seen and installed do not allow tandems. The mounting rails will not allow the use of CTL (circuit tandem limiting) breakers. Use of non-CTL breakers are listed for replacement use only.

A panel like a QO200M3040 takes 30 full size breakers but can use 10 tandems to makeup the 40 circuits. The devil is in the details.

On a side note why use a breaker than is more than double the cost over a single?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.