Breaker Amperage For Bathroom - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Breaker amperage for bathroom

Hello all. My mom just recently moved into a "new" house. The house itself isn't new, just the fact that she moved into a different house. The house was built around 1985 and is located in western Pennsylvania. She got a home inspection but she wanted me to look at the electrical a little more in detail. During my "inspection," I discovered that the bathroom circuit was on a 15 amp breaker. This has the two outlets in the bathroom (Gfi protected) and also 3 plugs in the master bedroom (Not Gfi) beside it. Code nowadays requires the bathroom to be on a 20 amp circuit with the outlets being gfi protected and the bathroom circuit to be dedicated to just the bathroom. I'm not really familiar with the 1980's codes so did they not require a 20 amp circuit and for it to be dedicated. The kitchen is the same way. 15 amp circuit for 2 counter-top plugs (not gfi) and also has the kitchen lights on it too.

Advertisement

romex1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by romex1220 View Post
Hello all. My mom just recently moved into a "new" house. The house itself isn't new, just the fact that she moved into a different house. The house was built around 1985 and is located in western Pennsylvania. She got a home inspection but she wanted me to look at the electrical a little more in detail. During my "inspection," I discovered that the bathroom circuit was on a 15 amp breaker. This has the two outlets in the bathroom (Gfi protected) and also 3 plugs in the master bedroom (Not Gfi) beside it. Code nowadays requires the bathroom to be on a 20 amp circuit with the outlets being gfi protected and the bathroom circuit to be dedicated to just the bathroom. I'm not really familiar with the 1980's codes so did they not require a 20 amp circuit and for it to be dedicated. The kitchen is the same way. 15 amp circuit for 2 counter-top plugs (not gfi) and also has the kitchen lights on it too.
So whats the issue? It obviously passed inspection at the date is was done.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,826

IIRC the mid 80's pre-date both of the requirements for 20 amp circuits to serve the receptacle in bathrooms and kitchen/dining receptacles.
romex1220 (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

I just wasn't sure if that was to code. Should I replace it with a 20 amp breaker and 12-2 wire. She's not tripping any breakers in the bathroom but sometimes in the kitchen. I'll get a permit to rewire the kitchen but should I do the bathroom too just for the expandability of the circuit?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

What do you mean by "expandability of the circuit" A bathroom has to be on it's own circuit and can not be "expanded" to any other room.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by romex1220 View Post
I just wasn't sure if that was to code. Should I replace it with a 20 amp breaker and 12-2 wire. She's not tripping any breakers in the bathroom but sometimes in the kitchen. I'll get a permit to rewire the kitchen but should I do the bathroom too just for the expandability of the circuit?
Why in the world would you "replace" the wiring in a 1985 built finished home??? Just add new circuits where necessary in the kitchen.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Why in the world would you "rip out" and replace the wiring in a 1985 built finished home??? Just add new circuits where necessary in the kitchen.
That was my point as well, add two new circuits to the kitchen where needed....
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
What do you mean by "expandability of the circuit" A bathroom has to be on it's own circuit and can not be "expanded" to any other room.
I meant being able to have more amperage in the bathroom. I guess 15 to 20 isn't that much. I'll just give her some more counter plugs in the kitchen

Advertisement