Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Hello,

Does it sound correct that two 1000W heaters, run in two separate bedrooms, should trip a fuse? My landlady says my housemate and I shouldn't be running our heaters at the same time, and we say she should redo the breaker configuration (the house is very old). What do you guys think? We aren't running anything else in the rooms. Well, okay, maybe a single 100W bulb in each...

Grateful for any advice, especially if you can quote building codes or standards!
Cheers,
Trouble in Paradise

GMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
the Musigician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

You say fuse AND breaker, which is it? 2 separate bedrooms have to be on 2 separate circuits and protected with AFCI breakers around here. Where are you located?

DM

Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #3

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
You say fuse AND breaker, which is it? 2 separate bedrooms have to be on 2 separate circuits and protected with AFCI breakers around here. Where are you located?

DM
You are required to have an individual circuit for every bedroom?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMill View Post
Hello,

Does it sound correct that two 1000W heaters, run in two separate bedrooms, should trip a fuse? My landlady says my housemate and I shouldn't be running our heaters at the same time, and we say she should redo the breaker configuration (the house is very old). What do you guys think? We aren't running anything else in the rooms. Well, okay, maybe a single 100W bulb in each...

Grateful for any advice, especially if you can quote building codes or standards!
Cheers,
Trouble in Paradise
15 or 20 amp circuit? You positive nothing else is on the circuit?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
the Musigician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

WE were, yes! Luckily, I did all the wiring here myself, so it's all done correctly and I've had zero problems with it.... well, except when a storm rolls through and we lose power.... 7 times so far this year. Seems like out here, if a deer farts we lose power.

DM
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
I=E/R

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMill View Post
Hello,

Does it sound correct that two 1000W heaters, run in two separate bedrooms, should trip a fuse?

Trouble in Paradise
If the two heaters are on the same 15amp circuit, then yes, they will blow a fuse. 2000 watts on 120 volts is 17 amps.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Master Electrician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Are you referring to portable plug in heating units or permanently affixed space heating units?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Master Electrician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Quote:
WE were, yes! Luckily, I did all the wiring here myself, so it's all done correctly and I've had zero problems with it.... well, except when a storm rolls through and we lose power.... 7 times so far this year. Seems like out here, if a deer farts we lose power.

DM
Where are you located, DM?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
the Musigician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Lat: 42.24 Lon: -85.55

DM
Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
the Musigician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

SW Michigan actually....

DM
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Master Electrician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Quote:
SW Michigan actually....

DM
We've done lots of work in SW Michigan and have never run into that individual circuit requirement and we deal with some adamant inspectors.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
the Musigician

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Welp, all I know is what he told me I had to do. That was his job, mine was to do it and pass.

DM
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #13

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
If the two heaters are on the same 15amp circuit, then yes, they will blow a fuse. 2000 watts on 120 volts is 17 amps.
DM, we're located near Boston MA -- I see what you mean about the 17amps. I'd forgotten that useful P=IV equation

I guess what I'm really interested in is whether this seems unusual to you guys, given modern building standards-- does it sound right that we shouldn't be able to run two space heaters (not built-in) in adjacent rooms? The outlets in question are on two sides of the same wall, which I suppose is why they're part of the same circuit...

Unfortunately the other bedroom wall is on the same circuit as a third bedroom... so basically only 2 out of 3 of us can use our heaters... the other one has to freeze in winter

The thing that happens is that the breaker gets thrown (I think that's how you say it-- I'm not as good with the lingo, but I guess that's separate from the fuse box?) Anyway, we don't need to replace a fuse to get things working again, just flip a switch... part of the issue is that the landlady only has access to the breaker box, which means she gets mad and thinks 'we're gonna start a fire', etc...

So I'm wondering if you guys think it's reasonable, from a professional electrician point of view, to have a circuit contain more than one bedroom AND be only 15A... (Would a modern bedroom circuit usually be higher rated? Maybe 20A?)

Thanks again, everyone!
G
GMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

if everything were up to modern day code, then no running a single heater in a bedroom wouldn;t give you any problems, but you did say that it was an old house and was probably built to code way back when.

I can't comment on US code, but in Canada, your landlady unfortunately doesn;t really have to do anything about it unless she does renovations to the property, where she'd have to bring everything up to modern code.
Atleast that's my understanding of it...
MitNotrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #15

breaker for 2 bedrooms?

Poor design, but legal. In general you should have access to the breakers, execeptions exist.