Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Branch circuit ?s

Can you use a box to split a circuit, like in the picture? I know I can use a 14/3 to continue the circuit past a switched light but the box would be easier and not require a trip to HD.

Thanks
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Branch circuit ?s-branch-circuit-001.jpg  

Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #2

Branch circuit ?s

Sure. Use a covered junction box with cable clamps. Electrical Code, I believe requires that the junction box be accessible and not enclosed within a wall.

Is this new construction? From your drawing it appears that you have the 2nd circuit going to a closet. You could just use just branch off from Ceiling Box No. 3

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #3

Branch circuit ?s

How is light number 2 going to be switched. If we follow your drawing, you would need a bit of 14-3 between light number 2 and 3.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #4

Branch circuit ?s

Here is a simplified wiring diagram of BOX 3. I don't show the ground wires for illustration clairity. all the ground wires would be twisted together here.
Attached Images

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

Branch circuit ?s

Light 2 will be run off the switch for 3. So I will run the switch for light 1 from the box for 3 and run 14/3 from 2 to 3 so I can use a switch loop for 2 and 3. Looks like I have to run to HD for some 14/3.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #6

Branch circuit ?s

One more piece to the puzzle. 1 is new, 2 and 3 are currently attached to another branch circuit. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and all the lights in the drawing are on a double pool 20Amp breaker. So I am removing some things and putting the on thier own circuit. 2 and three are at the end of the run but I can only trace the wire leaving 3 up into the wall on the first floor. I know the right way to do it would be to find where it is conectted and remove it. If I can't is there any thing else I can do? Like cut it, cap it and leave it in a box? If not any tips on how to trace it?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
waiting for spring

Branch circuit ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcoleman6 View Post
One more piece to the puzzle. 1 is new, 2 and 3 are currently attached to another branch circuit. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and all the lights in the drawing are on a double pool 20Amp breaker. So I am removing some things and putting the on thier own circuit. 2 and three are at the end of the run but I can only trace the wire leaving 3 up into the wall on the first floor. I know the right way to do it would be to find where it is conectted and remove it. If I can't is there any thing else I can do? Like cut it, cap it and leave it in a box? If not any tips on how to trace it?

I am assuming you meant double POLL 20 AMP breaker. The bathrooms have to be on a seperate circuit ONLY servicing the bathrooms. You CAN put both on the same. This would be a good time to do it.
arichard21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #8

Branch circuit ?s

Yep shoudl have said poll. One off the bathrooms has been remodeled and once we get our new panel in on Friday it will be placed on a circuit for the lights and another for the outlets. The second bathroom currently has no outlets; I am going to continue the light circuit from the number 3 light from he drawing below. Then when we update the bathroom I will install a 20A GFCI circuit for he outlets.

Thanks for the info everyone.