Br20 Vs. Br30 Floodlight Incandescent Bulbs. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


Hi,

I have a floodlight fixture in our shower stall. Inside are the maximum bulb ratings:

BR 20 size: 50 watt
BR 30 size: 75 watt

OK, BR 20 bulbs are smaller (less wide) than the same wattage as BR30 bulbs.

I always thought that since BR20 bulbs are smaller and therefore are farther away from the lamp housing sides than the large BR30 bulbs, then it would be OK to use a same wattage BR20 bulb in a BR30 fixture. But apparently that is not necessesarily correct?

Advertisement

Darto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,343
Rewards Points: 2,006
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


I don't believe it. You will need to look a shower rated trim to figure out what lamp (bulb) to install.

A can inside a shower stall will be required to be enclosed...no bare bulb.

Advertisement

__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,161
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I don't believe it. You will need to look a shower rated trim to figure out what lamp (bulb) to install.

A can inside a shower stall will be required to be enclosed...no bare bulb.
If it's required to even be a wet located trim...just because its located in a shower does not mandate a shower trim.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-13-2012 at 08:37 PM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,161
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
Hi,

I have a floodlight fixture in our shower stall. Inside are the maximum bulb ratings:

BR 20 size: 50 watt
BR 30 size: 75 watt

OK, BR 20 bulbs are smaller (less wide) than the same wattage as BR30 bulbs.

I always thought that since BR20 bulbs are smaller and therefore are farther away from the lamp housing sides than the large BR30 bulbs, then it would be OK to use a same wattage BR20 bulb in a BR30 fixture. But apparently that is not necessesarily correct?

its all about heat dissipation, if the can is not rated for that lamp with that particular trim, then that is your answer...
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,343
Rewards Points: 2,006
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


Quote:
I have a floodlight fixture in our shower stall.
Holy .... didn't even notice that. If this is true, you need to remove that fixture.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,161
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Holy .... didn't even notice that. If this is true, you need to remove that fixture.
LOL, neither did I, but it could still easily be legal.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


OK then it is not a floodlight fixture. I'm not an electrician and do not know the associated nomenclature.

It is, however, a fixture specifically designed for shower stalls, and it takes either BR20 or BR30 bulbs.

I'll have to buy BR30, because the 65 watt BR20 bulbs that we already have a large stock of already (for living room fixtures) is over the specified 50 watts per the engraved panel inside the shower fixture.

75 watt BR30 are allowed in this shower fixture.
Darto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,161
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

br20 vs. br30 floodlight incandescent bulbs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
OK then it is not a floodlight fixture. I'm not an electrician and do not know the associated nomenclature.

It is, however, a fixture specifically designed for shower stalls, and it takes either BR20 or BR30 bulbs.

I'll have to buy BR30, because the 65 watt BR20 bulbs that we already have a large stock of already (for living room fixtures) is over the specified 50 watts per the engraved panel inside the shower fixture.

75 watt BR30 are allowed.

Just make sure what you are reading is good for the trim that is being installed, they are a matched set.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
incandescent fixtures banned? kainos Electrical 15 06-01-2011 06:12 PM
using 60w incandescent bulbs in fan rated for 15w CFL denemante Electrical 13 03-21-2011 12:33 PM
Replacing incandescent bulbs with CFL bulbs NightOwlNYC Electrical 5 08-19-2010 12:45 AM
CFL vs incandescent question adpanko Electrical 13 08-30-2009 11:41 PM
double-ended halogen fixture bulbs stop working watt-ever-ny Electrical 6 11-20-2007 06:25 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts