DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Box height? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/box-height-14297/)

puma1277 12-11-2007 11:31 AM

Box height?
 
My boss asked me to nail receptacle outlet box(s) 18in from the floor, the problem is when he checked my work, he said the box(s) are to low. (I measured to the middle of the box.)

The question is, do you measure from the floor to the middle of the box or the bottom of the box?

jogr 12-11-2007 11:40 AM

You do it however the boss says.

Sammy 12-11-2007 12:16 PM

As Jogr says!

Normal is 18 inches aff to the box center.

Speedy Petey 12-11-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy (Post 79800)
Normal is 18 inches aff to the box center.

There is NO "normal". It's whatever you are used to doing or are told to do.

For new work I use 16" TTT (to the top) for general receptacles and 48" TTT for general switches.

In a renovation I match whatever exists.

Sammy 12-11-2007 02:56 PM

Some people use hammer handle lengths too...

Just dont get two guys in the same room setting boxes with different length hammers....

The "normal" looks pretty good!

puma1277 12-11-2007 03:44 PM

My boss has very few words (and yes, he's a :censored: Hole), when he asked me to put the box(s) 18in from the floor I assumed the measurement is from the floor to the center of the box.
Should I be measuring from floor to Top, Center, or Bottom :confused1:

Speedy Petey 12-11-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy (Post 79834)
Just dont get two guys in the same room setting boxes with different length hammers....

How about on the same job....

Speedy Petey 12-11-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puma1277 (Post 79846)
Should I be measuring from floor to Top, Center, or Bottom :confused1:

Yes.
What ever your boss tells you.
If he gets mad tell him you don't read minds and to give you more detail next time.

puma1277 12-11-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

If he gets mad tell him you don't read minds and to give you more detail next time.
Good advise Speedy, Thanks :thumbsup:

Sammy 12-11-2007 04:35 PM

As long as they are in different rooms the hammers will work out fine!

But Puma, if you REALLY want to mess with your boss, tell him you were setting the boxes that height to be ADA compliant... They require 15 inch minimum and dont really specify bottom or center of the box...

You were just HELPIN him!


:thumbup:

Andy in ATL 12-11-2007 04:58 PM

Puma,

The guy is being a jerk. At my shop it is 18" to center and 46" to center.

If you and I were wiring a house, it would be the bottom of the box to the top of a 20 oz. Estwing hammer (of which we both would own) and 48" to the top.

The fact is the guy could be talking top, center, or bottom and be correct in his world which you get to live in for 8 hours.:laughing:

Andy

jogr 12-11-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puma1277 (Post 79846)
My boss has very few words (and yes, he's a :censored: Hole),

No he's not, he hired you which was a pretty nice thing to do - right? He might be demanding, but he is the boss, he is accountable for his work (and yours) and has to make sure it's done right and that the company makes a good profit on it.

Now maybe he doesn't always know what you know and don't know, maybe he doesn't like to talk a lot and maybe he wouldn't get many style points but you can adapt to all that. Just ask short to the point questions about anything you aren't sure of. When he says "put these boxes in 18" high" that's your cue to say "right boss, 18" to the center of the box". He'll growl "no, to the top" and it will be ok cause that will be the last time you'll ever ask that question and he'll get his boxes where he wants them the first time.

Whatever you do don't beat around the bush and make a long winded speech about possible box heights, codes and your uncertainty about what he's asking. He's not there to gab and neither are you. And don't be the clueless new kid who is always trying to change the way things are done - you can do that later when they don't think of you as the clueless new kid. Once you've worked for him a while you'll probably find that you think he's pretty reasonable.

Speedy Petey 12-11-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy (Post 79853)
As long as they are in different rooms the hammers will work out fine!

I hope this is a joke.

Andy in ATL 12-11-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogr (Post 79861)
No he's not, he hired you which was a pretty nice thing to do - right? He might be demanding, but he is the boss, he is accountable for his work (and yours) and has to make sure it's done right and that the company makes a good profit on it.

Now maybe he doesn't always know what you know and don't know, maybe he doesn't like to talk a lot and maybe he wouldn't get many style points but you can adapt to all that. Just ask short to the point questions about anything you aren't sure of. When he says "put these boxes in 18" high" that's your cue to say "right boss, 18" to the center of the box". He'll growl "no, to the top" and it will be ok cause that will be the last time you'll ever ask that question and he'll get his boxes where he wants them the first time.

Whatever you do don't beat around the bush and make a long winded speech about possible box heights, codes and your uncertainty about what he's asking. He's not there to gab and neither are you. And don't be the clueless new kid who is always trying to change the way things are done - you can do that later when they don't think of you as the clueless new kid. Once you've worked for him a while you'll probably find that you think he's pretty reasonable.


Jogr, you very well may be right...or maybe he IS just an ahole!:laughing: :wink:

Speedy Petey 12-11-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy in ATL (Post 79877)
Jogr, you very well may be right...or maybe he IS just an ahole!:laughing: :wink:

My thoughts exactly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.