DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Box fill and wire nuts (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/box-fill-wire-nuts-103344/)

zephed666 05-02-2011 08:27 AM

Box fill and wire nuts
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello:

I have a question amout box fill with wire nuts and pigtails. I have a 2 gang box with 12/2 coming in and two 12/3 wires going out. The box is for 2 switches. I was having problems getting 5 wires under one wire nut so I pigtailed them to another wire nut. So what it looks like in the box now:

-3 white wires under 1 wire nut
-3 green under 1 wire nut pigtailed (4 in total under the first wire nut) to another wire nut with 2 grounds running to each switch (so 3 in that wire nut)
- 3 blacks under 1 wire nut pigtailed (4 in total under the first wire nut) to another wire nut with 2 more wires running to eache switch

So there are 5 wire nuts in the box. This box is in a shallow wall and is only 25 cu. inch. Is this acceptable for box fill?


Here is a rough sketch of what it looks like:

Jim Port 05-02-2011 08:35 AM

Your box is too small. For box fill you have 13 #12's x 2.25 cubic inches = 29.25.

Under the NEC pigtails and wire nuts do not count towards fill. Under the CEC wire nuts count towards fill.

zephed666 05-02-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 640608)
Your box is too small. For box fill you have 13 #12's x 2.25 cubic inches = 29.25.

Under the NEC pigtails and wire nuts do not count towards fill. Under the CEC wire nuts count towards fill.


How did you get to 13 #12's? Any suggestions to fix this, again it is a shallow wall?

HouseHelper 05-02-2011 09:02 AM

one 12/2 = 2
two 12/3 = 6
ground =1
two switches = 4
total = 13, assuming you have no internal clamps.

zephed666 05-02-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HouseHelper (Post 640620)
one 12/2 = 2
two 12/3 = 6
ground =1
two switches = 4
total = 13, assuming you have no internal clamps.

Again, how can I rememdy this in the shallow wall? Do they make a shallow 2 -gang box that is as wide as a 3 gang?

HouseHelper 05-02-2011 09:16 AM

How shallow is the wall? What is behind it? Is there a wall covering?
You may be able to use a 4" square box (metal) with a deep mud ring to gain enough room, or a three gang box with one space in the cover blanked.

zephed666 05-02-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HouseHelper (Post 640625)
How shallow is the wall? What is behind it? Is there a wall covering?
You may be able to use a 4" square box (metal) with a deep mud ring to gain enough room, or a three gang box with one space in the cover blanked.


I was using an old work box since I didn't want to tear out a portion of the wall. The new work box I just picked up will fit and it is 32 cu. in. and states 14/12 wires on it. So I should be ok with the box fill now.

Is how I connected it in the diagram inpost 1 a problem? Or is it acceptable to use multiple pigtail and wire nuts since they son't fit under 1 nut?

HouseHelper 05-02-2011 12:51 PM

The multiple wirenuts is not a problem, but you could also use larger wirenuts (blue) or Wago-style pushin connectors that accept eight wires.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved