Box Connectors Wire Project - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

box connectors wire project

i'm doing a project wiring and using conduit (emt) and need to know what are the best type of box connectors to use to secure conduit to a box. how good are those snap ins compared to the ones with the lock nut. i heard about these other ones too that save space inside the box so you have more space to wire. anyone know about this kind of stuff or have any advice? thanks.

Advertisement

wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Check out the following link: http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/TW1thruTW2.pdf

Look at page 9 of the catalog (page 8 of the .PDF) for the 92TXXX box connectors. These are my favorite for several reasons.
  1. First, once you've installed it in the box and inserted the conduit, you simply tighten the nut. You don't have to worry about holding the body or a locknut with another pair of pliers to get it tightened.
  2. I find them easier to deal with in general since your wrench is always outside of the box.
  3. The connector's opening inside the box slightly overlaps the end wall of the pipe which seems to afford a little additional protection against wiring chaffing over a burr that was left on the pipe after cutting.
  4. It is much easier to install this type in adjacent KO's than the types that require a locknut inside the box.
Just my opinion/preference. On the other hand, I've only been able to purchase them at electrical supply houses, not the big box stores.

One last thing: Set screw and comp. fittings that attach with a locknut have a stop in them that is outside of the box. This Appleton connector allows the pipe to protrude into the box before bottoming out. That said, add a 1/4" to your pipe lengths to account for this.

Have fun,
Jimmy

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Like a lot of things there is a connector for the purpose. The connectors that Jimmy referred to are 2 piece connectors. These are used when there are two fixed boxes that need a length of pipe between them. The boxes won't move and you'll bend and kink the pipe trying to wedge it in there with a standard connector. Set screw connectors are fine for normal use. Compression connectors for damp locations and concrete (and plenum ceilings in Chicago). Two piece connectors are a more expensive proposition than it sounds like you need.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
These are used when there are two fixed boxes that need a length of pipe between them. The boxes won't move and you'll bend and kink the pipe trying to wedge it in there with a standard connector.
Goose makes an excellent point here. You can put the locknut on the pipe and insert the pipe into the KO/box allowing you to install conduit easily between fixed boxes. In my house where the existing lumber is old growth pine, I find it much easier to install the boxes before running the pipe. This is certainly a feature of these connectors that makes this sequence of construction more feasible.

On the other hand, these connectors appear to be quite a bit more expensive than the SS/Comp. connectors that they sell at Home Depot (WTF happened to Steel City?? ).

Jimmy
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #5

thanks for the info, big help. i'm gonna head down to lowes on saturday and try to get this done before the game on sun. you think they should have what i need there? anything that i might need that i don't know i need?

next stop 19-0!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Union Electrician

Go Pats!
Nah, they'll have everything you'll need. If you need to fasten the pipe, pick up some one-hole straps for the size pipe you're using. Good luck!
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #7

thanks again fellas, i'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisement