Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Pro re-work contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Books on whole house wiring

I need recommendations on wiring an entire new (or rewire old) house.. Please chime in on what books you have read or heard are very good on this sort of subject. Thanks in advance.

analog414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Floor Sweeper

Rewards Points: 250

I have a few recommendations: First is "Wiring Simplified" by Richter, Schwan and Hartwell. This is a little book that you should be able to find at most home improvement stores. It is reasonably priced and covers all the basics and some more advanced stuff. There is also a much bigger version by the same authors, called "Practical Electrical wiring". It covers all the residential stuff, plus some commercial / industrial, etc. Both of these are updated every few years to cover the code changes. If all you need is diagrams, there is a book / pamphlet available at most home improvement stores called "basic wiring" and is loaded with common hookups.

If you want to get more advanced, Check out "Wiring a House" by Rex Cauldwell. It has a lot of pictures and good info. The author is a hare opinionated for my taste, but still a good reference nontheless. Another good one is a textbook called "Residential Wiring" by Ray Mullins. It covers everything in the aspect of house wiring. It is pretty easy to read and makes many references to code. It is the biggest and most expensive. You do not need it unless you are wiring your whole house from scratch. I still highly recommend it.

If you deal with any old wiring, I recommend David E. Shapiro's "Your old wiring." It has tons of great info from someone who has been there.

The last one is the most important: The National Electrical Code. It is vital to make sure that your installation is safe and up to code. It is an expensive book to buy, but unless you are in the electrical field, you probably do not need to buy a hard copy. The NFPA has a free online version that all can look at. If you buy the NEC, I recommend the handbook version. It has extra stuff in it that makes the Code easier to understand. (average joes and pros alike) Another thing is to make sure that all those other books I mentioned are the newest and most up to date volumes and not from 1963. Finally, if you are doing anything that involves any major work that requires cooperation with your power company, you will need their local code book. It is usually downloadable from their web site. It is not nessesary for simple stuff. Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by junkcollector; 12-09-2007 at 06:46 PM.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Try Electrical Wiring: Residential
ISBN 1-4018-5019-7
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I second Wiring Simplified, best book. I'm guessing the authors live in VT or some farm country as they frequently will explain how to do it in your house, then how it's done in your barn.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote