Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Bonding Pool Equipment - Conflicting Advice

Hello,

I live in Canada and I am currently installing an in-ground pool and have installed a separate service with a 100 AMP breaker box (with seperate ground plate) to my pool house. My friend who is an electrical inspector provided me wth the following advice about bonding the pool (i.e. all pool reinforcing steel shall be bonded with a minimum of four connections equally spaced around the perimeter with #6 bare copper, also the ladder and diving structure and slide, etc. providing they are made of steel and is run this back to the panel and attached to the neutral bar). The part where I am confused is associated with the bonding of the pool equipment in the pool house.
Everything I have read and the pool builder indicated that the pool equipment (pump, heater, and chlorine generator) also needs bonded but he (my inspector friend) indicated the following: "The equipment in the pool house is bonded with the bond wire that is in the cable feeding the equipment. You don't need to run a separate ground". The pool builder said there should be a bond wire running in a continuous loop from the panel, through each piece of equipment (i.e. the bonding lug).

Is this correct? My inspector friends advice contradicts anything I have read on the forum.

Let me know
Rick

rickster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

The inspector is technically correct, in an electrical sense. The equipment grounding conductor for those devices does, in fact, bond the equipment. However, a separate connection to the equipotential bonding grid is required (at least in the US). Follow the pool installer's advice, in this case. Someone else here may be able to provide a reference to the CEC that clarifies the specific requirement for equipotential bonding of that equipment.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,052

Do not forget to bond any reinforcing steel within the concrete if present. Generally anything metallic within 5' of the pool. Where I work, #8 copper is allowed. We do not extend the bond into the panel. It is attached to the bonding lugs of the pump, heater and other associated equipment.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Can there be two seperate bonding loops? One for the pool structure and all the metal within 5 feet of the pool and one for the pool equipment bringing both loops back to the panel? or should it be one continous loop?

I have read both sides i.e. some bring the bonding loop back to the panel (neutral bar) and some don't. Is there a danger one way or the other.

As far as bonding the re-bar. Can I just weave the bond wire in and out of the rebar before pouring the concrete?
rickster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster18 View Post
As far as bonding the re-bar. Can I just weave the bond wire in and out of the rebar before pouring the concrete?
No. Everythig must be mechanically connected with lugs or split-bolts.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Master Electrician

There are at least three things I've forgotten to mention for bonding. Underwater fixtures as well as electric pool covers, the pool water itself, probably some others. Safety is very important with pool installations. It really is not a DIY job.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,194

In the NEC the bond does not need to go back to the panel.