Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

bonding and grounding of pool pump/motor

i have a 12x24x52 intex ulta frame pool. the only part of this pool that is metal are the top beams and the u supports. would this type of pool have to be bonded? there is also a deck on one end of the pool, but it's not connected in any way. there is a bonding lug on the motor, so do i just run an 8awg wire from that lug to the nearest u support? the next part is a grounding . if i run a line from the panel to a GFCI outlet, will that suffice for a ground? the cord is already grounded in the motor. i'm not the best at electrical, but i do have some practical expierence. thanks any help would be appreciated. gpike19

gpike19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpike19 View Post
i have a 12x24x52 intex ulta frame pool. the only part of this pool that is metal are the top beams and the u supports. would this type of pool have to be bonded? there is also a deck on one end of the pool, but it's not connected in any way. there is a bonding lug on the motor, so do i just run an 8awg wire from that lug to the nearest u support? the next part is a grounding . if i run a line from the panel to a GFCI outlet, will that suffice for a ground? the cord is already grounded in the motor. i'm not the best at electrical, but i do have some practical expierence. thanks any help would be appreciated. gpike19
Pools are very involved. Read article 680 of the NEC. You should consult a licensed electrical contractor. Search this forum for pool threads. There is plenty of information here and after reading it you will realize you need to hire a licensed electrical contractor.

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.

Last edited by electures; 07-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
electures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

You need to call an electrician. This pool must be bonded, the water must be bonded, the deck must be bonded (yes, wood decks too) there must be an equipotenial bonding grid installed and a convenience GFCI receptacle installed.
Make sure the electrician pulls a permit so you don't get killed or kill someone else.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
electures (07-22-2011), NJMarine (07-23-2011)