Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bonding Ground in Conduit

HI;

I just did a pull of 12awg thhn/thxn through indoor 1/2" emt from my main panel to my bar outlets on the second floor. It travels through 3 junction boxes to comply with the no more than 360 degrees of bends rule.

I pulled a hot, neutral and a 12awg ground wire. I pulled the ground as member of this site suggested that I pull a ground, even thought I have the EMT fully and securly connected and bonded to the main panel.

The wire just passes through 3 of the junction boxes, my ground wire is insulated THHN, not bare. Is there any reason to cut that ground wire and bond it to each box since the EMT is already a valid ground path?

If I am suppose to bond that ground wire to the boxes, what if I am pulling the ground wire to use as an isolated ground connection?

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
HI;

I just did a pull of 12awg thhn/thxn through indoor 1/2" emt from my main panel to my bar outlets on the second floor. It travels through 3 junction boxes to comply with the no more than 360 degrees of bends rule.

I pulled a hot, neutral and a 12awg ground wire. I pulled the ground as member of this site suggested that I pull a ground, even thought I have the EMT fully and securly connected and bonded to the main panel.

The wire just passes through 3 of the junction boxes, my ground wire is insulated THHN, not bare. Is there any reason to cut that ground wire and bond it to each box since the EMT is already a valid ground path?

If I am suppose to bond that ground wire to the boxes, what if I am pulling the ground wire to use as an isolated ground connection?

Thanks
Jamie
So long as you don't make any splices in the boxes, you are not required to bond the ground in them.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
So long as you don't make any splices in the boxes, you are not required to bond the ground in them.
+1
Old 12-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
DIYer

Splices of the ground wire, or any splices at all?

What about his outlet box? Does he have to bond there even though the conduit system is also an allowed ground? What if he did want isolated ground? Would he have to run two ground wires even though the conduit system itself is an allowed ground?
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
Splices of the ground wire, or any splices at all?

What about his outlet box? Does he have to bond there even though the conduit system is also an allowed ground? What if he did want isolated ground? Would he have to run two ground wires even though the conduit system itself is an allowed ground?
If the EGC is not isolated, then yes, if must be bonded to the outlet box. If it is isolated, you must still have a regular EGC, and the conduit can serve this purpose. I still pull a separate EGC, even in metal conduits with isolated grounds. If you don't use IG devices though, the whole point is moot, as the yoke of the device will connect all grounding paths together when installed in the box.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #6

Sorry, ment to start a new question:
Screw Terminals Mid Wire

Two part question that where I've seen elsewhere, no one could ever sight code to backup their claim.

1. Is it legal to strip a conductor in the middle, wrap it around a screw terminal, and use the end of the conductor on another device? (I think this might be called a rabbit ear).

Some have claimed this was something allowed decades ago (but I've found rabbit ears in my 12yo home).

Some have claimed that you are not allowed to strip a conductor "in the middle" (therefore making a rabbit ear would be against code).

2. Assuming someone can sight where NEC does not allow #1, what about for grounds? The wire doesn't have to be stripped, so could you use a series of rabbit ears to ground all the switches in a gang box with a single neutral, no pig-tails?

Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 01-26-2010 at 10:17 PM.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote