DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bonding Ground in Conduit

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HooKooDooKu 
#1 ·
HI;

I just did a pull of 12awg thhn/thxn through indoor 1/2" emt from my main panel to my bar outlets on the second floor. It travels through 3 junction boxes to comply with the no more than 360 degrees of bends rule.

I pulled a hot, neutral and a 12awg ground wire. I pulled the ground as member of this site suggested that I pull a ground, even thought I have the EMT fully and securly connected and bonded to the main panel.

The wire just passes through 3 of the junction boxes, my ground wire is insulated THHN, not bare. Is there any reason to cut that ground wire and bond it to each box since the EMT is already a valid ground path?

If I am suppose to bond that ground wire to the boxes, what if I am pulling the ground wire to use as an isolated ground connection?

Thanks
Jamie

#4 ·
Splices of the ground wire, or any splices at all?

What about his outlet box? Does he have to bond there even though the conduit system is also an allowed ground? What if he did want isolated ground? Would he have to run two ground wires even though the conduit system itself is an allowed ground?

#5 ·
If the EGC is not isolated, then yes, if must be bonded to the outlet box. If it is isolated, you must still have a regular EGC, and the conduit can serve this purpose. I still pull a separate EGC, even in metal conduits with isolated grounds. If you don't use IG devices though, the whole point is moot, as the yoke of the device will connect all grounding paths together when installed in the box.

#6 · (Edited)
Screw Terminals Mid Wire

Sorry, ment to start a new question:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/screw-terminals-mid-wire-62901/#post389751

Two part question that where I've seen elsewhere, no one could ever sight code to backup their claim.

1. Is it legal to strip a conductor in the middle, wrap it around a screw terminal, and use the end of the conductor on another device? (I think this might be called a rabbit ear).

Some have claimed this was something allowed decades ago (but I've found rabbit ears in my 12yo home).

Some have claimed that you are not allowed to strip a conductor "in the middle" (therefore making a rabbit ear would be against code).

2. Assuming someone can sight where NEC does not allow #1, what about for grounds? The wire doesn't have to be stripped, so could you use a series of rabbit ears to ground all the switches in a gang box with a single neutral, no pig-tails?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.