DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Bonding Ground in Conduit (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/bonding-ground-conduit-33266/)

jamiedolan 12-06-2008 02:34 PM

Bonding Ground in Conduit
 
HI;

I just did a pull of 12awg thhn/thxn through indoor 1/2" emt from my main panel to my bar outlets on the second floor. It travels through 3 junction boxes to comply with the no more than 360 degrees of bends rule.

I pulled a hot, neutral and a 12awg ground wire. I pulled the ground as member of this site suggested that I pull a ground, even thought I have the EMT fully and securly connected and bonded to the main panel.

The wire just passes through 3 of the junction boxes, my ground wire is insulated THHN, not bare. Is there any reason to cut that ground wire and bond it to each box since the EMT is already a valid ground path?

If I am suppose to bond that ground wire to the boxes, what if I am pulling the ground wire to use as an isolated ground connection?

Thanks
Jamie

InPhase277 12-06-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiedolan (Post 194759)
HI;

I just did a pull of 12awg thhn/thxn through indoor 1/2" emt from my main panel to my bar outlets on the second floor. It travels through 3 junction boxes to comply with the no more than 360 degrees of bends rule.

I pulled a hot, neutral and a 12awg ground wire. I pulled the ground as member of this site suggested that I pull a ground, even thought I have the EMT fully and securly connected and bonded to the main panel.

The wire just passes through 3 of the junction boxes, my ground wire is insulated THHN, not bare. Is there any reason to cut that ground wire and bond it to each box since the EMT is already a valid ground path?

If I am suppose to bond that ground wire to the boxes, what if I am pulling the ground wire to use as an isolated ground connection?

Thanks
Jamie

So long as you don't make any splices in the boxes, you are not required to bond the ground in them.

Speedy Petey 12-06-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 194773)
So long as you don't make any splices in the boxes, you are not required to bond the ground in them.

+1 :thumbsup:

Gigs 12-06-2008 03:26 PM

Splices of the ground wire, or any splices at all?

What about his outlet box? Does he have to bond there even though the conduit system is also an allowed ground? What if he did want isolated ground? Would he have to run two ground wires even though the conduit system itself is an allowed ground?

InPhase277 12-06-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigs (Post 194784)
Splices of the ground wire, or any splices at all?

What about his outlet box? Does he have to bond there even though the conduit system is also an allowed ground? What if he did want isolated ground? Would he have to run two ground wires even though the conduit system itself is an allowed ground?

If the EGC is not isolated, then yes, if must be bonded to the outlet box. If it is isolated, you must still have a regular EGC, and the conduit can serve this purpose. I still pull a separate EGC, even in metal conduits with isolated grounds. If you don't use IG devices though, the whole point is moot, as the yoke of the device will connect all grounding paths together when installed in the box.

HooKooDooKu 01-26-2010 10:14 PM

Screw Terminals Mid Wire
 
Sorry, ment to start a new question:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/screw...01/#post389751


Two part question that where I've seen elsewhere, no one could ever sight code to backup their claim.

1. Is it legal to strip a conductor in the middle, wrap it around a screw terminal, and use the end of the conductor on another device? (I think this might be called a rabbit ear).

Some have claimed this was something allowed decades ago (but I've found rabbit ears in my 12yo home).

Some have claimed that you are not allowed to strip a conductor "in the middle" (therefore making a rabbit ear would be against code).

2. Assuming someone can sight where NEC does not allow #1, what about for grounds? The wire doesn't have to be stripped, so could you use a series of rabbit ears to ground all the switches in a gang box with a single neutral, no pig-tails?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved