DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bonding Electrical Panel

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hidden1 
#1 ·
My first post.
If you look at he attached picture. The home inspector saw that my panel needed bonding screws.
This is a SquareD panel installed in 1979.
I fixed the double tapped Neutrals.
This panel has an exact sister to it right next to this one.
I think this is the First and Main panel Because a Home Inspector only indicated this box was missing bonding screws.

- With that said.
Look at the Neutral Bar - All three bars are connected with a thick steel plate so no neutral or ground could be isolated....

Either way I have been looking up bonding and haven't got a real understanding. On placed looked like you only bond the main box. But the schematic showed the Neutral bonding bar in a sub-panel as isolated see the attached URL
http://www.diychatroom.com/attachme...ounding-question-4-wire-subpanel-detached.jpg

To take a stab at it...
The bonding screw makes contact with the Panel Box Thus grounding it...
---Tangent question I don't understand what the big deal is... Ground/Neutral is Ground/Neutral no matter if you are in a Main or sub box... (Okay lay into me)..

First Question - Do I really need the bonding screw in my panel.
Sub Question - Can you point me to the reasoning to bond or not to bond?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The panel enclosure itself always needs to be bonded to ground simply in case a hot conductor touches it. That applies to all panels!! As to bond grounds and neutrals that only is allowed once at the main panel.

#3 ·
Only one of those holes is needed for the box bonding screw, IF this is a service panel.

Service panel, by definition would be the first disconnect after the meter box. You said there was another panel next to this one. Does one feed-thru to the other? Or, are they both fed directly from the outside meter box?

An alternative to installing a bonding screw would be to install a grounding lug and bonding jumper wire from the neutral bar to the enclosure can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.