Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bonded for a Particular Job?

I am not an electrician but am planning on having several thousand dollars (maybe more) of electrical work done on my house. I found an electrician on Angie's list who got great reviews but he is not bonded. What does this mean to me that he is not bonded? Should I go with another electrician who is bonded?

I asked him if he could be bonded for this particular job and how much it would cost and he said he didn't know as he had not done it before.

Thanks for the opinions.

fikio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

You should look around for another electrician. Get two more bids. He may be just fine, but if he is licensed and insured why is he not bonded? If he is not licensed and insured I would say a big NO thanks.
Bonding is in case he cannot finish the job for some reason. Any reason. It is like insurance in case he bails, dies or just cannot be located and the job is not complete.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I got 2 other bids and his was by far the lowest which is why I wanted to go with him. So the bonding is only for completion of the job, it doesn't mean anything in case there are future problems related to the work?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Call a legitimate electrical service company and quit screwing around with places like Angie's List, ask for a "Certificate of Insurnace" before they do anything. Not all states require bonds especially on $200 residential jobs. You are making way to much of this. If you want to find a legitimate electrician then use legitimate sources to locate them. The Yellow Pages are free and a lot more reliable.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

At least 2 of the companies are reputable companies that are listed elsewhere. Not sure if you are confusing Angie's list with Craig's list.

What does the Certificate of Insurance cover for? Is it just the duration of the work? I misunderstood what bonding was, I thought it covered something after work is done if there were defects that was related to the work, but apparently from JV's post it is just for the completion of the job?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

I'm well aware of what Angie's List is. Anyone can be listed there and anyone can praise or poop-on anyone there. Nothing is substantiated and it is no better than Craig's List.

What you are asking for is a warranty and that is up to whoever does the work. Most legitimate operators will warranty their work for a time.

The Certificate of Insurance (labeled on your behalf) protects you and your property from negligence on the part of the hired company and its workers. If they damage a wall it is covered, if they drive over your shrubs it is covered, if they back into your vehicle their auto insurance covers that.

Ask for a written Warranty to cover your concerns.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,490

Insurance covers if he has some problem like a fall at your site or if he accidentally burns your house down. If he is not insured then you could be responsible for all his bills.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikio View Post
Thanks for the response. I got 2 other bids and his was by far the lowest which is why I wanted to go with him. So the bonding is only for completion of the job, it doesn't mean anything in case there are future problems related to the work?
That is correct. Bonding just insures the job gets done, completed. It pays for another contractor if this one fails to come through.
Insurance covers you in case of loss or injury to the electrician. The question still begs for an answer. Is he licensed and insured? Most contractors with licenses and insurance also are bonded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikio View Post
At least 2 of the companies are reputable companies that are listed elsewhere. Not sure if you are confusing Angie's list with Craig's list.

What does the Certificate of Insurance cover for? Is it just the duration of the work? I misunderstood what bonding was, I thought it covered something after work is done if there were defects that was related to the work, but apparently from JV's post it is just for the completion of the job?
Like I said. This guy may be just fine. But you should at least make sure he has a current license and is insured in your jurisdiction. That he has the proof he meets both requirements. Make him produce his license and his insurance.
Some jurisdictions allow unlicensed workers to perform these jobs. You need to make sure he is not one of them.
If he asks you to pull a homeowners permit or wants to work without permits you should disqualify him immediately.
Another good barometer is price. If he is that much lower, there is a reason. He may just be hungry for the work? But once again, insurance and license are a must. Along with permits for all work. When you hire a contractor or licensed electrician, he includes cost for permits, licensing and insurance. If the price is to low, he may not have these things.

I have no issue with Angies list or Craigs list. Both are legitimate marketing avenues. Once the basic licensing and insurance requirements are met, you can discuss price.
Oh. See about references too. They can make or break a deal.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote