Boat Lift Connection - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dfldiy

Old 01-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Boat Lift Connection

I had an electrician run a 240v conduit and wiring to the same pier my GR2 Gem Remote boat lift is on, but the electrician could not hook up the wires to the boat lift as the boat lift company needed to switch the motors (there are two of them) from 120 to 240. The boat lift company has now switched the motors to 240v so I was going to simply complete the connection by hooking up the 240 line. However, when I looked at the 240v line, I see six wires when I was only expecting to see three or four. There is a thick white wire, a thin white wire, two thick black wires, a thin black wire and a green wire. Any thoughts on why there are so many wires and which ones I need to use? I have confirmed the power is OFF at the box (visually checked breakers and used and confirmed zero volts with a voltmeter). Any help would be appreciated or if I need to call back the electrician I will. I do have the wiring diagrams for the GR2 Gem Remote but they say nothing of a six wire line...

Advertisement

dfldiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 46

Re: Boat Lift Connection

Sounds like a bi-directional motor. Green will be the ground.

There will be a wiring diagram on they motor. Please post it.

Cheers!

Advertisement

supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supers05 For This Useful Post:
dfldiy (01-08-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14,026

What's your location?
Makes no since to me that a real electrician would not have made all the connections and had the lift working.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

I am located in Sarasota Florida. The electrician could not wire the boat lift as the motors were set on 110 and had to be switched over to 220 by the boat lift company. The electrician left, the boat lift company came out and switched the system to 220 so now I either need to call back the electrician to finish the job or simply finish it myself. I was going to simply wire it up, but when I saw six wires in the conduit I stopped to seek out more information. I am guessing the two thick black wires are both hot leads, the thick white wire is a neutral and the green is ground. I am not sure what the remaining thin black and remaining thin white wire are for and I am not sure the boat lift accomodates two hot wires. See wiring diagram link below (I have the GR2 Gem Remote system:

http://www.gemremotes.com/pdfs/GEM_W...MOTOR_2015.pdf
Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfldiy View Post
I am located in Sarasota Florida. The electrician could not wire the boat lift as the motors were set on 110 and had to be switched over to 220 by the boat lift company. The electrician left, the boat lift company came out and switched the system to 220 so now I either need to call back the electrician to finish the job or simply finish it myself. I was going to simply wire it up, but when I saw six wires in the conduit I stopped to seek out more information. I am guessing the two thick black wires are both hot leads, the thick white wire is a neutral and the green is ground. I am not sure what the remaining thin black and remaining thin white wire are for and I am not sure the boat lift accomodates two hot wires. See wiring diagram link below (I have the GR2 Gem Remote system:

http://www.gemremotes.com/pdfs/GEM_W...MOTOR_2015.pdf
Still need to know what your motor is. There will be a label. Please post it.

Cheers!
dfldiy (01-08-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 1,794

A 240 volt motor will need two hots.
dfldiy (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #7

Ok, mystery on the numbers of wires is solved. The electrician ran wires for both a 240v line and a 120 v line through the conduit to the junction box on the dock pier. I confirmed this by checking the junction box at the house and saw two sets of romex coming into the junction box, being connected to the six wires running through the conduit to the dock. I am assuming the 120v lines (the thin black and thin white) are a 120v line for dock lighting. The other four wires (the two thick black wires, the thick white wire and the green) are for the 240v line. The only question I need to confirm now is how to hook the 240v lines to the boat lift. I presume I should hook each of the thick black wires to the L1 and the L2 posts respectively, the thick white wire to the neutral bar and the green wire to the ground? I tried adding some photos here, but wasn't able to.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Here is the picture of inside the boat lift box. Do I hook the two thick black wires to L1 and L2, the thick white wire to the neutral bar and the green wire to ground?
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Lift Connection-wp_20170107_07_37_41_pro.jpg  

Last edited by dfldiy; 01-07-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: adding in the photo
Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #9

OK you're really leaving us in the dark here. Where is the remote in respect to the all of this? You need the extra wires for the motor for the remote, not for lightning.

If the remote is attached to the lift and you're connecting power directly to the remote, then you're talking about Multple circuits then.

The picture looks like the latter.

Cheers!

Last edited by supers05; 01-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.
dfldiy (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,998

You need to confirm what the 2 black and 2 white wires are connected to (assuming you are correct that the "thin" wires are in fact 120v). 240v circuits do not have a neutral - just 2 hot conductors. Since you are mixing electricity and water, extra special care is indicated, and there may be specific rules.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
dfldiy (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #11

Well with the lack of response, I'm guessing you called the electrician back.

If the wiring was supposed to be to the control, and only the motor needed to be changed, I really don't see why the guy didn't wire like it was supposed to be. (with the motor disconnected. Would have done no harm)

Anyways, you'll have to follow the instructions that you've posted. It mentions where to connect your hot wires and that you must disconnect the neutral from L2. The transformer also needs to be checked.

It kinda sounds like your over your head on this one.

Cheers!
dfldiy (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #12

All, sorry for the delay in responding, I was out all day yesterday (much of the time at Lowe's or installing the necessary conduit boxes on the dock pier. I will send over a picture later this morning when it gets light showing the location of the two lift motors and the remote. In essence, I have two lift motors at one end of the dock which power the boat lift, then I have the "remote box" which is a box that has the 240v power line from the house running into it. From the "remote box" their are power conduits that run to each motor. The "remote box" was already wired by the boat lift company with the proper lines running to each motor so I simply needed to run the 240v line into the remote box and wire it in. I wired the two thick black wires (the hot lines) to L1 and L2, wired the white thick neutral wire to the neutral bar, wired the green ground wire to the ground and disconnected the white neutral line from L2 per the directions (Supers05 thank you for noticing that). I checked the transformer and it seems to be fine. I have not yet energized the circuit as it was dark when I finished so this morning I plan to visually inspect the system one more time and make sure I have everything where it needs to be and make sure I did not loosen or disconnect anything. I will let you know how it turned out after church today.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #13

Everyone, thank you for your insight. I am pleased to announce the boat lift is working perfectly. May the Lord Jesus bless each of you as you have blessed me with your assistance - Cheers... David.
supers05 likes this.

Advertisement

Tags
240v wiring boat lift