Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blower Motor Wiring Help

Hi - I hope someone is more knowledgeable than me in reading and understanding wiring diagrams!

I have a EMERSON Motor - Model: K055TFN8713012B for my Coleman furnace. This was a replacement motor as the other one died! The motor techs can be seen here - (you may have to search on their catalog for it)

http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/ecatalog.htm --

My question is that when the motor was connected, I am not sure it was connected properly, as the wire diagram does not match the connections. What I am trying to do is speed up the motor.... There are three different wires for this - Black (hi) , Blue (med), and Red (low). The wiring diagram is here - -

http://apps.motorboss.com/Dimensions/FHP/V01727098.pdf

Long story short is that the tech told me I could hook up the black, blue or Red to the Brown wire that comes from the capacitor. This does not appear to work.

The way it is hooked up now is that the black is actually connected to a wire that goes to the furnace wires (as is the white). The brown is hooked up from the capacitor to the motor. Also connected to the capacitor is a brown w/white stripe wire that goes to the motor. The blue and red are not connected on one end. So my question is, where should the black wire be connected (to the brown wire as the tech said?), and what if I want the Red or blue speed - where do they connect? :confused: The Coleman furnace model is 7710-856 (BTU in 95000/BTU out 72000), SN 048365484.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!:

atvguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Blower Motor Wiring Help

I don't know if you relized the motor number you gave out here that is wired for 240 volt not the 120 v verison and is this is a heat pump or electric furance ?? so this way i can able help you with it

Merci, Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Blower Motor Wiring Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvguy64 View Post
Hi - I hope someone is more knowledgeable than me in reading and understanding wiring diagrams!

I have a EMERSON Motor - Model: K055TFN8713012B for my Coleman furnace. This was a replacement motor as the other one died! The motor techs can be seen here - (you may have to search on their catalog for it)

http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/ecatalog.htm --

My question is that when the motor was connected, I am not sure it was connected properly, as the wire diagram does not match the connections. What I am trying to do is speed up the motor.... There are three different wires for this - Black (hi) , Blue (med), and Red (low). The wiring diagram is here - -

http://apps.motorboss.com/Dimensions/FHP/V01727098.pdf

Long story short is that the tech told me I could hook up the black, blue or Red to the Brown wire that comes from the capacitor. This does not appear to work.

The way it is hooked up now is that the black is actually connected to a wire that goes to the furnace wires (as is the white). The brown is hooked up from the capacitor to the motor. Also connected to the capacitor is a brown w/white stripe wire that goes to the motor. The blue and red are not connected on one end. So my question is, where should the black wire be connected (to the brown wire as the tech said?), and what if I want the Red or blue speed - where do they connect? :confused: The Coleman furnace model is 7710-856 (BTU in 95000/BTU out 72000), SN 048365484.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!:
The website that you supplied indicates that the motor is a "permanent split phase capacitor" motor. Since this appears to be the case & I assume that you will be supplying 240 volts single phase to it, your problem is easy to solve. Do as follows only if you are sure that your supply voltage is 240 volts;

1] connect the black wire to the brown wire.

2] connect the white wire to the available capacitor lead.

3] Connect the black & brown wire (now joined together) to the "active" or hot wire of your supply. I don't know what colour the "active" wire is in the US so I hope that somebody else can tell you this.

4] connect the white wire, which should be connected to the other terminal/wire of the capacitor, to the "neutral" conductor of your supply.

In summary, the capacitor should be in parallel with the active & neutral supply conductors. The supply active conductor should be connected to one lead of the capacitor & the supply neutral conductor should be connected to the other lead of the capacitor.

If you have problems with this, please post again.

Last edited by elkangorito; 02-01-2008 at 10:50 AM.
elkangorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #4

Blower Motor Wiring Help

I may have put down the wrong motor number, as it is a 115V motor 3/speed. Also, does the speed or direction of the blower wheel impact the output. In other words I want hi speed so I get hi output Thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,222

Blower Motor Wiring Help

There should be a connection diagram on the motor can you get a close up picture of it and post it here. Motor help is very difficult over the internet without the motor diagram....it's too risky. An improperly connected motor will almost always destroy its windings if connected wrong the minute power is placed on the motor. Or get us the correct model #.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Blower Motor Wiring Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvguy64 View Post
I may have put down the wrong motor number, as it is a 115V motor 3/speed. Also, does the speed or direction of the blower wheel impact the output. In other words I want hi speed so I get hi output Thanks!

that what i thought so.,,

the direction is very impoart with the blower it will affect the perfomace.

Next thing is the speed connection is your furance do have optional central air ?? if so there is two speed connection on the control panel.

[ most Coleman Furance fan useally are hook up in med speed in heat mode and with A/C they useally go high speed ] and any sisuation never run the fan in low speed at all because it will do two thing it will overheat the furance and it will cycle more often than it should do and when you run in A/C mode you may frezze up the eveperator pretty fast [ i did see that other units as well ] ]

to get correct speed you have to follow the control panel connection diagram very carefull.

Is the control panel is electronic board with LED light ?? if so let me know there is a trick with it.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #7

Blower Motor Wiring Help

Thanks for the info! The heater does not have A/c, nor does it have an electronic board. I have the speed setting set on low, but based on your post, I should change the to medium.

How can you tell what the correct direction of the blower should be? I don't see any diagrams on the furnace indicating this. Thanks!

Also, fyi, the correct model # is -- KA55HXSMT-2345

Last edited by atvguy64; 02-03-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,222

Blower Motor Wiring Help

The motor direction is determined by the connection of the wires coming from the motor. There will be two orange wires connected together with disconnect terminals (spades) there will also be two yellows connected the same way. This is the factory wiring and will be in the counterclockwise direction. If you switch those wires (yellow to orange) you will change the direction to clockwise.

You connect your incoming power (black) possibly coming from a start relay to whatever speed wire you want coming from the motor. You have three speed wires coming from the motor (black, blue and red) but you can only use one unless you have some kind of speed control that has wiring that will allow you to connect to all three speeds. The incoming power neutral (white) connects to the white wire coming from the motor, the brown goes to the capacitor as does the brown/white, these will have factory spade connectors on them or should have. This is a permanent split phase so it does not have a start winding but does have a run winding and capacitor that stays permanently energized during operation and doesn't drop out like a start winding and start capacitor.

Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote