Black/Red/White And Ground Question...URGENT HELP!!!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Black/Red/White and Ground question...URGENT HELP!!!!

I took down an interior wall at the entry way that included a 2 gang (2 romex entrering) with two switches (one for the entry light, and one for the exterior sconce). When I tore down the wall it had two romex exiting the box (One to the rest of the floor wiring, and one to an outlet). When I relocated the switch box I relocated the outlet to below the outlet, but did not have a switch to control that outlet. So I now had 2 romex coming in, and 1 romex "leaving" the gang box. I want to make sure that I wired it all correctly....it is working, but at the same time...is it wired to code!

Here is an attempted diagram.

Main romex coming in has (M.color):
- BLACK/RED/WHITE and GROUND

Romex from outside light has (EL.color):
- BLACK/WHITE/ and GROUND

Romex "leaving" the box to the outlet has (O.Color):
- BLACK/WHITE and GROUND

I wired it as such:
M.Red to "hot" switch
EL.Black to "hot" switch

M.White, EL.White, and O.White all wire nutted and not connected to any switch

M.Ground, EL.Ground, O.Ground, Switch.Grounds all wire nutted.

M.Black, O.Black, Switch.Black, and Switch.Black are all wire nutted.

Additionally here is a picture: (Yes I need to clean it up....I actually have to make the 4 wire romex longer so it will actually be going to a junction box to get "longer") Hopefully you can decipher from the picture...

The way it is wired now, all switches work perfectly and outlets have full power, microwave is working, etc. I do not want to have the "it's working, I did it!" and later realize I broke some nasty wiring codes.

Advertisement

draconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

How did it used to be connected?

I judge that you wired it up correctly. There was only one piece of guesswork, in the M cable which of the wires (black or red) was the power feed and which was the lead to one of the lights. Since it works correctly, you made the correct guess.

There is no rule saying red should be for some specific things and black for other specific things.

By the way:

Only 1/4 inch of cable jacket should protrude into the box and the separate wires should be about 8 inches long.

The cables should be stapled or harnessed to the studs or go into a hole in the stud to the next stud bay within 8 inches of the box (within 12 inches if the box has a clamp or finger holding the cable end in place). At staplings the cables must be at least 1-1/4" in from the stud edges.

Suggested that, with the bundle of wires with the ends pointing at you, you twist them clockwise since that is the same way you twist on the wire nut.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ

I judge that you wired it up correctly. There was only one piece of guesswork, in the M cable which of the wires (black or red) was the power feed and which was the lead to one of the lights. Since it works correctly, you made the correct guess.

There is no rule saying red should be for some specific things and black for other specific things.

By the way:

Only 1/4 inch of cable jacket should protrude into the box and the separate wires should be about 8 inches long.

The cables should be stapled or harnessed to the studs or go into a hole in the stud to the next stud bay within 8 inches of the box (within 12 inches if the box has a clamp or finger holding the cable end in place). At staplings the cables must be at least 1-1/4" in from the stud edges.

Suggested that, with the bundle of wires with the ends pointing at you, you twist them clockwise since that is the same way you twist on the wire nut.
I'll bet he's a lefty. It took me awhile to get used to twisting my joints the "right" way.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post

By the way:

Thanks for the assistance! I am going to be cleaning it up BIG time to look nicer and safer for wire knowledge...

The 4 wire romex I need to extend by way of junction box because otherwise the old 4 wire romex brings the switches to eye level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I'll bet he's a lefty. It took me awhile to get used to twisting my joints the "right" way.
I'm a righty...I was just angsty because the wires kept snapping due to age...anti-clockwise with clockwise wire nuts are not advisable and realized that after I got everything to work... :P
draconius is offline   Reply With Quote