DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Big question--can i pull from serice disconnect? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/big-question-can-i-pull-serice-disconnect-182989/)

ericmunyon12345 07-03-2013 01:41 PM

Big question--can i pull from serice disconnect?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I want to add a flood light on a pole by my H board. (Power goes from there to house and barns.) on the board is the meter, and three service disconnect panels. (Tell me if that's what they're called: large box with hinged door that only has one 100 or 200 amp breaker.) is it possible to add a sub panel next to one of these for branch circuits to run and outdoor receptacle and flood light?
It's a box similar to this. I haven't opened the cover, but I'm sure all that's in it are service conductors.

TarheelTerp 07-03-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmunyon12345 (Post 1211048)
I want to add a flood light on a pole by my H board.
(Power goes from there to house and barns.)
on the board is the meter, and three service disconnect panels.

How many meters do you have on this property?

Quote:

(Tell me if that's what they're called:
large box with hinged door that only has one 100 or 200 amp breaker.)
On their own? A Disconnect.
Like in your picture above? Meter/Main

Quote:

is it possible to add a sub panel next to one of these for branch circuits to run and outdoor receptacle and flood light?
Depends. (on a bunch of things)

ericmunyon12345 07-03-2013 05:04 PM

. What I want to do is a tap to a two space sub (like sq d 2024).

Speedy Petey 07-03-2013 06:49 PM

NO. There is no easy way to tap anything off this meter main.
Basically it would need to be replaced with a meter/main/feed-through panel.

ericmunyon12345 07-03-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
NO. There is no easy way to tap anything off this meter main.
Basically it would need to be replaced with a meter/main/feed-through panel.

I just pulled that pic from google. What I have is one main box with a lever disconnect/generator lockout, then three boxes, each with one breaker of 100 or 200 amps. So it's on the load side of the service. Someone told me I could tap from that to a sub panel to feed light and recep. .??

Glennsparky 07-04-2013 02:18 AM

Speedy Petey is mistaken. There are a number of ways to pull power from that picture. And there would be a number of ways in your setup. I need clear pictures that enlarge well. Similar to the OP picture. Especially of the first box that has an OverCurrent Protection Device (breaker or fuses).

We're looking for a box that has lots of room in it. And one that has lots of headroom between it's actual load and the size of it's OCPD.

It would be nice to know the actual amp draw of the light and receptacle. And a wish list of anything you want to power from there in the future.

Speedy Petey 07-04-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennsparky (Post 1211341)
Speedy Petey is mistaken. There are a number of ways to pull power from that picture.

For real??? You think you can safely and complaintly tap off that meter/main the OP??
WOW!

Speedy Petey 07-04-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmunyon12345 (Post 1211295)
I just pulled that pic from google. What I have is one main box with a lever disconnect/generator lockout, then three boxes, each with one breaker of 100 or 200 amps.

Well then your box is not that similar.
I would need to see pics with the covers open (NOT the meter box itself) to even begin to give any advice.

k_buz 07-04-2013 07:14 AM

From that picture, it could be done...

Cheaply? Probably not...
Easily? For an electrician...sure

However, all this talk doesn't matter unless we see real pics. I have a feeling from the description, it wouldn't be as easy as the OP.

mpoulton 07-04-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 1211391)
For real??? You think you can safely and complaintly tap off that meter/main the OP??
WOW!

Why couldn't you use split bolts or double-lug adapters to run a small subpanel off the load side of that breaker?

ericmunyon12345 07-04-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpoulton

Why couldn't you use split bolts or double-lug adapters to run a small subpanel off the load side of that breaker?

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I'll try to get some pics up, but I may not have time to get pics with covers off until sat.

biggles 07-04-2013 07:15 PM

panel has to be right on the other side of the wall drill yourself a hole

ericmunyon12345 07-04-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmunyon12345
Ok, I want to add a flood light on a pole by my H board. (Power goes from there to house and barns.) on the board is the meter, and three service disconnect panels. (Tell me if that's what they're called: large box with hinged door that only has one 100 or 200 amp breaker.) is it possible to add a sub panel next to one of these for branch circuits to run and outdoor receptacle and flood light?
It's a box similar to this. I haven't opened the cover, but I'm sure all that's in it are service conductors.

I'm going to start a new thread with actual pics of the job. Thanks, and I'd really appreciate help.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved