Best Way To Wire A New Range Hood - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Way to Wire a new Range Hood

Hi. I am trying to install a new Range Hood. There is no existing electrocal wire nor outlet. Except the oven outlet. What is the best way to wire it. There are bathroom lights on the adjacent wall and I believe I can probably get to to the basement below. Can I just tap into the lights at one of the locations?

Thanks.

Advertisement

JoeMenardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMenardo View Post
Hi. I am trying to install a new Range Hood. There is no existing electrocal wire nor outlet. Except the oven outlet. What is the best way to wire it. There are bathroom lights on the adjacent wall and I believe I can probably get to to the basement below. Can I just tap into the lights at one of the locations?

Thanks.
If it's cord connected you need to install a dedicated circuit per code, but if you are hardwiring this unit, then you could use a general purpose circuit.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

What are the specs on the range hood? Some require their own circuit. If this one does not, then I would fish up from the range outlet (assuming you are talking about a 120V outlet for a gas range).

If that doesn't work, I would run the wire from the hood, down into the basement, and pick up power down there. It is possible to come off the bathroom lighting assuming there is straight power in the bathroom fixture boxes.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
What are the specs on the range hood? Some require their own circuit. If this one does not, then I would fish up from the range outlet (assuming you are talking about a 120V outlet for a gas range).

If that doesn't work, I would run the wire from the hood, down into the basement, and pick up power down there. It is possible to come off the bathroom lighting assuming there is straight power in the bathroom fixture boxes.
The manual does not mention anything about having it's own circuit. It is a gas range. I thought the range was supposed to have it's own circuit, but if it is possible to do that, fishing up from the range is probably the easiest option. I'll check the fuse box and see what size it is. Thanks so far.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

So, the stove is wired to a junction box in the basement on I believe a 15Amp breaker. The electrical outlet behind the stove is one of those surface mount metal ones with the romex wire exposed from a hole in the floor under the stove to the electrical box.

So, I would have liked to mount the wire to the box, by making a hole in the top by the hood and then one in the bottom near the floor. We would be renovating the kitchen sometime next summer. But is ok to have it exposed like the one to the stove is currently? The 2nd option would be wiring it through the wall to the basement to the junction box there. Or lastly should I just remove the old box, add a new wall box for the stove outlet, rerun the wire to that box and then pigtail that to my hood?

Any help would be great.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

I never like to tie into an unrelated room. You never know what else might have been done to it in the past, or what might get done in the future. When you've got a clear shot at it from the basement below it's usually better to wire it up right. Just because someone else did a poor job in the past doesn't mean you have to continue the trend, right? Just be mindful of how the basement might get renovated later. It would be a shame to put in a junction box only to have to re-wire it when the basement gets drywalled. Since it's a gas range and that circuit is only supporting the igniter, then it would seem reasonable to tie the hood into it. Perhaps now's the time to redo the box for the stove outlet and wire in the hood to it?

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote