Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Is this the best way to wire a floor?

Hi,

Preparing to run my wiring before i have an electrician come verify all is proper. I have attached a screenshot of my amateur mspaint drawing. It can be seen larger here: http://shiftace.ca/electrical.html (99.5% of folks don't read my site name proper the first 4 times)

There is a shower steamer that will have its own breaker, and i believe the same thing with the tub motor. The same also with the smoke/CO detector i believe (not in the pic).

One question is, i have three lights in the bathroom, would it be okay to combine those three lights with the nine outlets on the same 15amp breaker?

And the main question i have... is this the sanest way to wire the floor, or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for reading this and for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the best way to wire a floor?-screenshot151.jpg  

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

It would help if your location was filled out. From your use of ensuite I suspect Canada.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

The URL he references is a Canada site.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Master Electrician

For the code. Any receptacle installed in a washroom has to be 1m but not less than 500mm from a tub or shower as measured horizontally without running into a wall. The 500mm is for small bathrooms and the inspector may ding you if your not at the 1m. Bedroom receptacles need afci protection and tamperproof receptacles. Smokes need to be on a general lighting circuit. Donrt forget you gfci's in the bathroom.

Personally I would run a seperate circuit for the bathroom receptacles. It will save you a ton of headaches resetting breakers(hairdryer draws 15a). Or run a 20a circuit for them. Remember though you can't have lights on a 20a circuit.

Good luck!
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
GoJetsGo (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

But he's a Jets fan. How sick is that?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Master Electrician

I haven't figured out why we don't have an NFL team in Toronto. Makes more sense than having the bills here to play 2 or 3 games a year. They have to be itching to get out of buffalo anyways
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
No surprising since he's in Winnipeg.
Rewound98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post

John,

Winnipeg Jets = hockey

NY Jets = football

Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
It would help if your location was filled out. From your use of ensuite I suspect Canada.
You bet eh! 8)
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
For the code. Any receptacle installed in a washroom has to be 1m but not less than 500mm from a tub or shower as measured horizontally without running into a wall. The 500mm is for small bathrooms and the inspector may ding you if your not at the 1m. Bedroom receptacles need afci protection and tamperproof receptacles. Smokes need to be on a general lighting circuit. Donrt forget you gfci's in the bathroom.

Personally I would run a seperate circuit for the bathroom receptacles. It will save you a ton of headaches resetting breakers(hairdryer draws 15a). Or run a 20a circuit for them. Remember though you can't have lights on a 20a circuit.

Good luck!

Thanks Andrew.

Okay, i have added an outlet on the south wall of the bathroom to be within the 50-100cm distance from the tub w/no obstructions.

Also, i have changed the circuit from all 9 outlets to the now 4 of the bathroom outlets, and put the three lights with the 6 outlets in the bedroom/sitting area.

Does this make a bit more sense now? Or is it unorthodox to have one of the five bathroom receptacles running with another circuit?

And the AFCI, does that have to just include the receptacles, or the lights too? This might change how i run everything up here.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the best way to wire a floor?-screenshot152.jpg  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Electrician

Bedroom plugs will need to be arc fault protected, put nothing else but the bedroom plugs on this circuit.

Depending on what you are putting in for lights you could use one circuit for all the lights and the plugs in the washroom, your smoke detector will need to go on the lighting cct. If it were me I would try and put the bathroom plugs on there own circuit.

Dedicated circuit for steam shower and tub motor is good idea, they may have to be GFI protected. I would have to look it up to give you an exact answer.

What's the point of the plug next to the toliet and the one next to the tub, all bathroom plugs I have seen are near the sinks?

Last edited by darren; 10-27-2012 at 12:13 AM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
Master Electrician

It's not a requirement its a nono do not put a plug there. I worded it poorly. It's a minimum clearance distance. Sorry bout that.