DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Best way to mount a new exterior flood light

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
I'm going to be putting a floodlight on the outside of a garage. There isn't currently any light in the location. The exterior is clad in aluminum siding, and possibly some foam board insulation behind it (not sure yet, as I haven't taken too serious of a peak). Any recommendations on the best/easiest way to mount the junction box? Should I mount the box on the plywood sheathing, and then bore an appropriate size hole in the siding? Or is there an exterior flush mount round box, made for this kind of application, that can attached directly to the siding (with the screws going thru all the way to catch the sheathing)? Thanks.

Andy

#2 ·
HD/LOWES has weather proof round boxes with a round cover with removable plugs to mount the outdoor light right on it nice and neat....place the box where you might want it... mark the back hole and drill it out and thru what ever the siding is....might want to do a dry run with a ladder and extension cord during the dusk to see the spread on the area you want to light up:whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.