Best Way To Deal With Rocking Ceiling Fan? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

Best way to deal with rocking ceiling fan?

I have an old ceiling fan that rocks and wobbles at certain speeds. I've heard that some possible causes are bad capacitors, fan blades out of adjustment, and loose screws.
Is it worth my time to try to fix this old fan, or would it be better just to replace it?

Thanks

Advertisement

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

I purchased a house last year and noticed the fan had an abnormal amount of movement. I did a web search and found all kinds of info on balancing.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...ling-fan-blade
After gathering up my washers and tape. I noticed the fan was not securely mounted.
There was no box, no structural member of any kind!! It was screwed to the drywall!! But being true professionals they did use drywall screws Very hard to believe it stayed there at all. JIm

Advertisement

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can get a half decent ceiling fan for 75$.

So, is it worth 75$ to monkey around with it?

- I'd probably check the screws on the blades before I spent $75.
- I'd probably try to balance the blades a bit with tape and quarters before I spent $75.

Then again, if I didn't like how it looked, I'd replace that sucker - solely for the offense of not being aesthetically pleasing.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

One of the main reasons I have found for ceiling fans to start acting "out-of-balance" is that the screw securing the down-rod at the top, where it is connected to the ball (if so equipped) has come loose. With the fan OFF (I know, but I had to say that), start at the very top of everything checking connections. Assure the box is securely mounted and work down checking each point of attachment. Check the fan blade screws also. IF the fan rocks/wiggles/oscillates on all speeds you can be sure of an imbalance problem. IF it appears to act up on only one speed it will probably be a motor impedance problem at that speed. Both are easily solved with a "balance kit" from most any place which sells ceiling fans. About 2 yrs. ago I had to balance eight (8) fans which had just been installed in a commercial business showroom. The installer stated that there was "nothing" they could do about this as it was the fan's fault. The owner got the installation monies back, I balanced all 8 fans in less than 2 hrs. with balance kits after checking all connections. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
- I'd probably try to balance the blades a bit with tape and quarters before I spent $75.
Wow Leah, reading that brings back memories! I remember taping a penny or two to the top of my record player needle when it kept skipping!
Dave
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote