Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Share |

Bedroom Lights Dim Briefly

Hello,
I am in the process of giving my kitchen a quick face lift. Since my house was built in 59 it had the garbage disposal, one receptacle, dishwasher and Fridge all on one circuit (12/2 wire, 20 amp breaker).
Every time that I turned on the garbage disposal the kitchen lights would dim.

So here is my problem. I ran two independent circuits. One for the Fridge and one for the Microwave. Now my bedroom lights briefly dim every time the fridge turns on. I didn't notice this before when the fridge was on the old circuit with the other appliances. The bedroom light is not on that circuit so I'm a little confused.

Now, I did verify that all of the connections were nice and tight.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

victor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Get a electrician in to check for a Loose Neutral at the Panel, also what amperage is your panel, and brand? May also have the local utility check at the meter for poor connections on their end, along with the transformer. Do all rooms in the house exhibit the same problems.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Since you rewired the fridge on its own circuit, I'd wager a guess that the new circuit is on the same incoming line as your bedroom lighting.

If you were to swap one of those circuits to the other incoming leg in your panel, the dimming issue might go away without any other action ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I never looked at that part, since maybe I have figured to keep things simple in my house by having stuff on separate circuits. My fridge though is on the same circuit as the wall outlets for the dining and the Kitchen, so if that outlet goes bad, I know which Junction box to go tear into.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Get a electrician in to check for a Loose Neutral at the Panel, also what amperage is your panel, and brand? May also have the local utility check at the meter for poor connections on their end, along with the transformer. Do all rooms in the house exhibit the same problems.
I have basic electrical skills since I had to take a few courses back when I was in school. I will check all of the Neutrals once again. The Sub Panel is a Cutler Hammer, I'm not sure on the amperage. How can I check. The other lights in the house do not Dim like my bedroom. It only dims for a couple of seconds. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Since you rewired the fridge on its own circuit, I'd wager a guess that the new circuit is on the same incoming line as your bedroom lighting.

If you were to swap one of those circuits to the other incoming leg in your panel, the dimming issue might go away without any other action ...
Great Idea, let me try that.

Thank you