DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Battle with OSHA over three phase plugs

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Anti-wingnut 
#1 ·
We just had a OSHA-type consultant here. She spotted a 208v 3 phase pigtail conected to a circuit breaker box. The pigtail had a 30 amp labeled receptacle attached and the receptacle was protected by a 30a breaker on each leg. She is claiming that because the receptacle was protected by 3 30a breaakers, the plug had to be rated (and marked) 90a.
It is my understanding that the 30a rated receptacle means that each of the three legs is rated at 30a and that each leag protected with a 30a breaker is correct. My opinion is seemingly unimportant as management feels that the OSHA consultant is the fount of all knowledge thus is correct.
I have two questions. (1) Am I correct or is she. (2) Where could I find printed support for my position thru NEMA, National code or anything else.

#6 ·
She's fully an idiot, and her boss(es) need to know!!!!!!!

If you follow her advice, the dangerous situation is created where a 90 amp circuit has a 30 amp fusible link ( in this case the cord cap and connector) exposed to the general working population.

I think the proper reference is 210.20 (B) (1) : A single recerticle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

But again, she needs to be called out on this, and her superiors must be notified. She is a dangerous fool

#11 ·
As for documentation, if that outlet is there for a specific piece of equipment, the equipment will of course have the proper plug. And sometimes the installation instructions for a piece of equipment will specify the outlet type and amperage of circuit breakers to use.

#12 ·
What the HELL is osha doing making statements like this? This is WAY out of their jurisdiction IMO.

I completely agree. This woman is incompetent and she needs to be reported to anyone higher up than herself.

#14 ·
What the HELL is osha doing making statements like this? This is WAY out of their jurisdiction IMO.

I completely agree. This woman is incompetent and she needs to be reported to anyone higher up than herself.
It wasn't OSHA, it sounds like a safety consultant.

It would actually be in the purview of OSHA to check if SO-corded equipment was hooked up properly.

#13 ·
Darn, I just ran #10 to a dryer thinking it was 30 amps. I guess I should have run #6 for the 60 amps. :no:

Someone actually pays this person for their "knowledge"? People that that give morons a bad name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.