Battery Storage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Battery storage

Hello all,

I recently bought a 12v battery from Amazon to use to power LED lights for a display case I built for my wife.

Battery:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Lights:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

My question is:

Can I store this battery in a box of sorts? I wanted to hide it from plain view and was thinking about either building a wooden box or buying a box that I could store this in. I'm asking because I remember reading about needing to allow the battery vapors to escape. Not sure if this is a real thing or not but I figured I would ask some experts.

Thanks!

Advertisement

computerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 722

Battery storage

Sure, its done all the time in alarm systems. Better to used a non combustible case like metal if possible. How are you charging the battery? That seems more important. If you use too crude of a charger the battery might out gas and over heat..

Advertisement

curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Battery storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
Sure, its done all the time in alarm systems. Better to used a non combustible case like metal if possible. How are you charging the battery? That seems more important. If you use too crude of a charger the battery might out gas and over heat..
I haven't really thought about that too much. I was going to buy a 12v charger and call it a day. Are there certain considerations for the charger?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
zpm
yeah, right

Rewards Points: 75

Battery storage

That's an SLA (sealed lead acid) battery typically used in a UPS.
It doesn't create explosive gas (hydrogen IIRC) like automotive batteries do.

Maybe get an old UPS, preferably a UPS that uses an equivalent battery, and use it to charge the battery.

The simple solution would be to get a 120VAC-12VDC transformer/power brick and run the lights directly, but you must have a reason not to do that.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Battery storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpm View Post
That's an SLA (sealed lead acid) battery typically used in a UPS.
It doesn't create explosive gas (hydrogen IIRC) like automotive batteries do.

Maybe get an old UPS, preferably a UPS that uses an equivalent battery, and use it to charge the battery.

The simple solution would be to get a 120VAC-12VDC transformer/power brick and run the lights directly, but you must have a reason not to do that.
The display case spins on a Lazy Susan Bearing so a direct wire to the wall outlet wouldn't have worked as it would have prevented the showcase from spinning.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Battery storage

Are you going to charge the battery in situ or remove it to charge it? The battery can produce gas and burst if the charging circuit malfunctions. Since that can only happen in a charging situation there is no need for any kind of battery case while using the display. If you charge a battery that small in an area, you don't have to worry about any sort of case. If you want a case, I would go with some kind of plastic rather than metal or wood.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Battery storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post
Are you going to charge the battery in situ or remove it to charge it? The battery can produce gas and burst if the charging circuit malfunctions. Since that can only happen in a charging situation there is no need for any kind of battery case while using the display. If you charge a battery that small in an area, you don't have to worry about any sort of case. If you want a case, I would go with some kind of plastic rather than metal or wood.
It would be nice to have it so I could charge it without taking out the battery. A retractable cord of some sort comes to mind but I don't think I have the expertise to make that happen (and my wife is anxious for me to be done with this project).

Advertisement