Battery LED Circuit Into A Wood Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

battery LED circuit into a wood box?

I'm just starting to learn about electricity and creating LED circuits - I'd like to mount a battery driven (3 AAA with 1 white LED) circuit with a switch into a small wooden box (hole in the top - cool lighting effect). I've got the circuit soldered together, but am wondering how to mount it safely into a wood box (tight quarters). How do I insulate the bare wire connections and how do I best hold them into place? I'd love to use something like hot glue (good for holding, but not for insulating I'm thinking) - what do you all recommend?

Also, is there anything tricky about what the led "bulb" itself can or can't touch? can this slip directly into a hole drilled in the wood without danger?

Thanks for humoring an electronics newbie.

M.

Advertisement

Missy Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

battery LED circuit into a wood box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Bloom View Post
I'm just starting to learn about electricity and creating LED circuits - I'd like to mount a battery driven (3 AAA with 1 white LED) circuit with a switch into a small wooden box (hole in the top - cool lighting effect). I've got the circuit soldered together, but am wondering how to mount it safely into a wood box (tight quarters). How do I insulate the bare wire connections and how do I best hold them into place? I'd love to use something like hot glue (good for holding, but not for insulating I'm thinking) - what do you all recommend?

Also, is there anything tricky about what the led "bulb" itself can or can't touch? can this slip directly into a hole drilled in the wood without danger?

Thanks for humoring an electronics newbie.

M.
With 3 AAA batteries, the most voltage you can have is 4.5 volts. You cannot hurt yourself, the circuit, or anything else with that low a voltage.

The plastic case of the LED bulb is an insulator, so you can mount this directly into a hole in the wood... maybe with a drop of glue or caulk to hold it in place.

There's no need to insulate the connections (again the voltage is so low) so long as different connections don't touch each other. For more complex or higher voltage circuits, you can get heat shrink tubing at Radio Shack (DigiKey, Mouser, Newark Electronics) to insulate any bare wires.

Advertisement

Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave632 For This Useful Post:
Missy Bloom (10-25-2012)