Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathrooms and outdoor outlets not working

I am having a problem with my bathroom and outdoor outlets. All the outlets in four bathrooms do not work. The outlets outside also don't work. We have had an electrician here to troubleshoot this problem. They left thinking it was solved but it still isn't. From what he explained to me all the bathroom outlets and the outdoor outlets are connected. The master bathroom has a GFI. A downstairs bathroom also had a GFI. He explained that that one bathroom was the end of the line and so it was ok to have a GFI on it but he changed it to a regular outlet to simplify things. This way there is only one GFI now on the entire thing. On the breaker box there are three different breakers that have to do with this. One for the GFI in the master bathroom and one for both the front and back door outside. Yesterday when the electrician left they all worked. After he left even though nothing had been plugged into any of these outlets they stopped working again. When they stop working if I go and flip the breaker for just the GFI in the master bathroom it will not allow me to then reset the GFI. I try to push it in but it wont. I then go and reset the breaker for the outdoor breaker in the front and then try the GFI reset button again and it resets. All of a sudden the outlets work again. Does it sound like the problem might be that the outlet outside is bad? There isn't anything plugged into it. I called the electrician and told him about it. He suggested that I try replacing the GFI but I did that once already trying to fix this problem and the same problem exists. He said it was wired properly when he was here so that isn't the issue. Would you suggest replacing the outdoor outlet next? Any suggestions are very welcome. He said he would come back out but I am worried he will then charge more and it was already quite expensive. Thank you!

maybecalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

bathrooms and outdoor outlets not working

this sounds like a major problem.

Your comment that it involves more than one breaker is most enlightening.

In old houses the cost of a GFI was prohibitly expensive, so all plugs that required one were put on one circuit(this precludes more than one breaker)

I bet that he should not have removed the one GFI (I'm betting that there is on longer protection)

in order to determine the root cause we will need to determine just what is on which circuit and if they are somehow tied together.

HOWEVER we can not rule out that the GFI is doing its job and that there is a ground fault

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote