Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

bathroom wiring

Hello:

I am renovating a bathroom in my home and would like some advice about the wiring. Currently, there is one circuit feeding the bathroom (vanity light, ceiling light and outlet) and hallway light with switch. My new set up will be - GFCI outlet, exhaust fan, vanity light, 2 hi hats in the shower stall. I was woould like to know the best wiring set up for this configuration. I was going to wire into the GFCI and then add everything down stream from that. Is that the correct way?

thanks!
Matt

zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

bathroom wiring

That way will work. Correct is how you want it. This circuit must be 20 amp and dedicated to only the bathroom to meet code. The hall light can't be on the circuit.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
That way will work. Correct is how you want it. This circuit must be 20 amp and dedicated to only the bathroom to meet code. The hall light can't be on the circuit.
When the house was built there were 6 fuses for the entire 2 story house. I switched over to a 150AMP breaker panel several years ago and all new construction has been getting new circuits. I was told by the Building Department that wiring done previously does not have to be updated per code, otherwise most people's homes would need to be rewired. I guess I would have to ask them about the hall light since there is no other way to wire it up.

Anyway, what would be the simplest way to wire the setup? I was thinking:
-20Amp breaker - 12/2 to GFCI Line side.
Load side to switch box and pigtail from there to 2 switches. 1 switch for the vanity light the other switch is a timer/light switch for the fan and shower light.

The timer switch has a black, white, red and blue wires. How would I go about wiring that up? Do I need to run 12/3 wire from the light to the fan to the switch?

I should add that the blue goes to the light and red goes to the fan in the instructions...
thanks!

Last edited by zephed666; 01-25-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
When the house was built there were 6 fuses for the entire 2 story house. I switched over to a 150AMP breaker panel several years ago and all new construction has been getting new circuits. I was told by the Building Department that wiring done previously does not have to be updated per code, otherwise most people's homes would need to be rewired. I guess I would have to ask them about the hall light since there is no other way to wire it up.

Anyway, what would be the simplest way to wire the setup? I was thinking:
-20Amp breaker - 12/2 to GFCI Line side.
Load side to switch box and pigtail from there to 2 switches. 1 switch for the vanity light the other switch is a timer/light switch for the fan and shower light.

The timer switch has a black, white, red and blue wires. How would I go about wiring that up? Do I need to run 12/3 wire from the light to the fan to the switch?

I should add that the blue goes to the light and red goes to the fan in the instructions...
thanks!
Yes, 20A breaker 12/2 to the GFCI line side is correct.

It sounds like what your describing is a single switch that has both a timer for the fan and a separate switch for the light. The black wire is the input, which you will feed from the load side of the GFCI, the white is your neutral, and the blue and red wires are your outputs to the fan and light as you stated. So yes, 12/3 up to the fan/light should work.
DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #5

bathroom wiring

Since youare updating the bathroom it is no longer grandfathred. You need to meet the current code. Leave the hall on the existing circuit and run a new one for the bathroom.
Some would suggest that the vanity light should not be on the LOAD side of th GFCI. That way the lights stay on if you trip the GFCI. It doesn't matter for code. You can do it either way. The shower lights need to be GFCI.

Last edited by joed; 01-25-2011 at 02:14 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Since youare updating the bathroom it is no longer grandfathred. You need to meet the current code. Leave the hall on the existing circuit and run a new one for the bathroom.
Some would suggest that the vanity light should not be on the LOAD side of th GFCI. That way the lights stay on if you trip the GFCI. It doesn't matter for code. You can do it either way. The shower lights need to be GFCI.
The shower lights are not required by code to be GFCI protected, unless the manufacturer's instructions require it. That being said, it's not a bad idea.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitEE View Post
Yes, 20A breaker 12/2 to the GFCI line side is correct.

It sounds like what your describing is a single switch that has both a timer for the fan and a separate switch for the light. The black wire is the input, which you will feed from the load side of the GFCI, the white is your neutral, and the blue and red wires are your outputs to the fan and light as you stated. So yes, 12/3 up to the fan/light should work.
Attached is an image of the fan/light switch diagram. Do i run the 12/3 from the light to the fan to the switch and connect both the red and blue from the switch to the red wire of the 12/3? Do i just cap the black wire at each one or do I connect those as well?
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom wiring-fanlightswitch.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Attached is an image of the fan/light switch diagram. Do i run the 12/3 from the light to the fan to the switch and connect both the red and blue from the switch to the red wire of the 12/3? Do i just cap the black wire at each one or do I connect those as well?
See if this helps
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom wiring-switch.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #9

bathroom wiring

Quote:
See if this helps
I'm sorry, I just reread your original post and realized that the vanity light is separate from the exhaust fan. I thought you had a fan/light combo. In that case, I would just do separate runs of 12/2 to the fan and the vanity light.

Last edited by DetroitEE; 01-25-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Actually, sorry, I just realized you didn't want to feed the fan/light from the load side of the gfci. But either way, the wiring is basically the same, you will just make a tap at the line side of the gfci instead.

the fan and light are not one unit. Can i run a 12/3 from the light to the fan and cap the unused wires?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #11

bathroom wiring

Quote:
the fan and light are not one unit. Can i run a 12/3 from the light to the fan and cap the unused wires?
Sure, if you want to, but there's no need. You could run 12/3 from the switch to the vanity light junction box, and the 12/2 up to the fan from the light. No need to run an extra wire up to the fan if it's not needed, unless you are trying to account for swapping it out with a combo unit in the future. Either way will work.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #12

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Sure, if you want to, but there's no need. You could run 12/3 from the switch to the vanity light junction box, and the 12/2 up to the fan from the light. No need to run an extra wire up to the fan if it's not needed, unless you are trying to account for swapping it out with a combo unit in the future. Either way will work.
Vanity light junction box? Did you mean the shower lights? I plan on having 2 switches.

1st switch - just for the vanity light
2nd switch - this will be the timer/light switch that controls the fan and shower lights.

With what you said, the blue and red from the switche get connected to the red in the 12/3?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #13

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Vanity light junction box? Did you mean the shower lights? I plan on having 2 switches.

1st switch - just for the vanity light
2nd switch - this will be the timer/light switch that controls the fan and shower lights.

With what you said, the blue and red from the switche get connected to the red in the 12/3?
I just read your other post. So I can run separate 12/2 lines to the fan and light. Does that mean I connect the blue and rec wires from the switch to the pigtailed black wires or do them separate?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #14

bathroom wiring

Quote:
I just read your other post. So I can run separate 12/2 lines to the fan and light. Does that mean I connect the blue and rec wires from the switch to the pigtailed black wires or do them separate?
Oh ok, the switch/timer combo switch control the shower lights, not the vanity, I see now.

So what I would do is run 12/3 from the switch/timer up to the fan, and then 12/2 from the fan to the shower lights. Here's my attempt at another diagram, let me know if this looks right for your situation.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom wiring-switch.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #15

bathroom wiring

Quote:
Oh ok, the switch/timer combo switch control the shower lights, not the vanity, I see now.

So what I would do is run 12/3 from the switch/timer up to the fan, and then 12/2 from the fan to the shower lights. Here's my attempt at another diagram, let me know if this looks right for your situation.

Looks like exactly what I need. Just want to make sure that it is ok to run the blue and red wires from the switch to the fan then from the fan to the light. I know the instructions showed them split but I assumed you could do it the way in your diagram.

thanks again for your help!!