Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom wired 220volt

While remodeling the kids bathroom I tried to use the bathroom outlet for my drill but it ran at extreme rpm and I could see electrical arcs in the motor.Figured my drill finally went bad. Later I replaced the outlet with a GFCI but after about 5 minutes it started to smoke and it blew.Put voltage tester to it and blew the glass fuse to bits all over floor.(son behind me asked if it was supposed to do that). Previous owner had ran the wire to a 220v breaker. This outlet is the only thing on this circuit.
I need some help on using this wire to power a bathroom fan. I have the non powered wire from the wall switch ran to the new fan but not hooked up. I want to get the power from the receptacle wire once I get a new breaker. How do I hook the wires together at the fan?
From fan- black wire, white wire, ground
From switch- black wire, white wire, ground
From receptacle wire- black wire, white wire, ground

bigwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom wired 220volt

You do not need a new breaker, IF it is sized correctly. Just disconnect the white wire from it, and move it over to the neutral bar in your panel.

You are permitted to utilize one side of a double pole breaker for 120 a Volt circuit.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Bathroom wired 220volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
You do not need a new breaker, IF it is sized correctly. Just disconnect the white wire from it, and move it over to the neutral bar in your panel.

You are permitted to utilize one side of a double pole breaker for 120 a Volt circuit.
Thanks. I did not know that
Old 06-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

Bathroom wired 220volt

Can someone please tell me the correct way to hook the wires together
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom wired 220volt-hot-outlet-feed-fan-then-switch.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom wired 220volt

Majorty of the exhaust fan have very small junction box area and it is pretty hard to do the termation if you go with switch loop format.

This is what I useally do is run the cable from the recepetale to the switch then the exhaust fan due it much easier to deal with it and also upcomming 2011 NEC codes will required have a legit netural in there { that will be nice when you need with timer ( few but not all will required netual anyway )

And with that route I suggest above that will elemate the switch loop that soemthing I have done for many years with exhaust fans and I use the switch loop in very last resort unless you have accesable spot in attic but still advoid it if possible.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Bathroom wired 220volt

There was a very funny movie made about 25 years ago with Val Kilmer about a rock and roll star who goes to East Germany during the cold war for a concert. Can't remember the name, might have been Top Secret, but there was a hysterical scene where someone plugged an electric dildo (U.S. made for 120 volts) into a European 220 volt socket. The results were electrifying, to say the least. Hope that did not happen to you.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

Bathroom wired 220volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill View Post
Previous owner had ran the wire to a 220v breaker. This outlet is the only thing on this circuit.
What is the current rating of the breaker, and what gauge wire is it?
Since this was a blatantly stupid installation to begin with, I'd be concerned that the breaker may be oversized.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,032

Bathroom wired 220volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill View Post
Can someone please tell me the correct way to hook the wires together (diagram above)
Connect the white fan wire to the white feed wire (neutrals)
Connect the black fan wire to the black switch wire.
Connect the other two wires together.

Where a white wire is attached to a switch or to a black wire put a band of black tape or stain at both ends of that white wire.

In the future (when your city adopts the 2011 National Electric Code) you must run 3 wire cable down to the switch if the power does not go first to that switch. In this situation start by connecting together all the white wires (three of them using the example above). In this situation the white wire is not connected to anything down in the switch box until such time if and when you want to extend power from that switch box to other places.