Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

bathroom vent fan and heater ringing sound

My bathroom ventilation and heater system just started ringing and doesn't stop even after I have turned off the electrical circuit breaker for the room. It stops working (light, fan, etc) but the ringing doesn't. How can I resolve the problem?

RobertEspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

If you turned off the breaker, it must be something else ringing.
Could there be two circuits feeding the fan?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
BIGRED

What kind of ringing? A steady squeal or like a piezo scream or a ringing bell???? If there is no power the only thing that comes to mind is possibly the bearing between the motor and the blower for your fart-fan is dryed out or is trying to seize and air pressure from inside your home blowing out through the fan vent and turning the blower. You might be able to lube it, but you will have to get the blower assembly completely out of the housing. Then look for 2 small tubes -about 1/16" in diameter- one on either end of the motor. Point these straight up in the air and put about four drops of light oil from one of those extend-a-spout oilers you can get from the hardware store for about $2.00. Let it sit for about ten minutes plug it back in and try it.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
If you turned off the breaker, it must be something else ringing.
Could there be two circuits feeding the fan?
I flipped the main power breaker and the ringing did not stop. Can it be some kind of solinoid, magnetic switch or battery powered component? I am really puzzled.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
What kind of ringing? A steady squeal or like a piezo scream or a ringing bell???? If there is no power the only thing that comes to mind is possibly the bearing between the motor and the blower for your fart-fan is dryed out or is trying to seize and air pressure from inside your home blowing out through the fan vent and turning the blower. You might be able to lube it, but you will have to get the blower assembly completely out of the housing. Then look for 2 small tubes -about 1/16" in diameter- one on either end of the motor. Point these straight up in the air and put about four drops of light oil from one of those extend-a-spout oilers you can get from the hardware store for about $2.00. Let it sit for about ten minutes plug it back in and try it.
The "ringing" is a high-pitch continuous buzzing sound and it continues even after I flipped the main circuit breaker to the house. Can it be anything magnetic, or battery powered? I am really puzzled with this one.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Even thru you have main power for the whole house turned off the something on battery power must be on like alarm for your watch or smoke alarm or some gimzo { there are couple item I know but can not tell in this fourm to keep it G rated } that keep running for some reason.

Possiblty some kids toys still running.

Let us know what you find.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertEspo View Post
The "ringing" is a high-pitch continuous buzzing sound and it continues even after I flipped the main circuit breaker to the house. Can it be anything magnetic, or battery powered? I am really puzzled with this one.
Thanks for your response. I have found and resolved the problem. It turned out that a weight scale in the same room with a 9-volt battery was making the ringing sound. It appeared to be coming from the vent system, but was just a case of a bad battery in the scale making the piercing ringing sound. It's hard to believe it was something so simple.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Just call me Andrew

Glad you found the problem. Reminds me of that "Friends" episode where Phoebe could not stop the smoke detector from beeping.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #9

OH Thankyou so much, Ive had this problem all day sending me bonkers. first time on this forum and a problem is solved your fab.

shaunvinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, fan, heater, problem, ventilation