Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom vanity light - mount to single switch box?

I'm remodeling my bathroom, just finishing up some final touches (or so I though), the vanity light being one of them. The original light was just affixed to a horizontally mounted single switch box. However, it appears the mounting bracket to my new light assumes an octagonal outlet box.

The current box seems to be mounted plenty sturdy enough to hold the new light, but none of the holes on the plate match up - at least not in relation to the screws that in turn, mount the light. Is there any adapter plate that I could mount to the switch box that will place holes in the same position as if it were the octagon box?

If not, other suggestions? I noticed this late - after I actually painted the walls as well. I already used one "old work" switch box when I needed to slightly reposition an outlet, and I can't imagine anything of that sort supporting a light, so I'm not really sure how I'd get a new octagon box in there...

bsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

314.27 Outlet Boxes.
(A) Boxes at Luminaire Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire
or lampholder outlets in a ceiling shall be designed for the
purpose and shall be required to support a luminaire weighing
a minimum of 23 kg (50 lb). Boxes used at luminaire or
lampholder outlets in a wall shall be designed for the purpose
and shall be marked to indicate the maximum weight
of the luminaire that is permitted to be supported by the
box in the wall, if other than 23 kg (50 lb). At every outlet
used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or
installed so that a luminaire may be attached.

Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire weighing not more
than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other
boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided
the luminaire or its supporting yoke is secured to the
box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

I'm sure he appreciates the code, there - but it doesn't answer his question.

Removing an existing box and installing a new one isn't too complicated if you're down to the studs (no drywall/backer board) - but, first, I'd leave it alone and look into getting a universal or adaptive attachment bracket or wand made for this purpose.

If you're down to the studs the replacement is so simple.

If you're replacing it with the wall intact then it can be a little tedious - how tedious and exactly what you need to buy/do depends on how it's attached (long/short nails or screws - a tie bar, etc)
Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
I'm sure he appreciates the code, there - but it doesn't answer his question.

Removing an existing box and installing a new one isn't too complicated if you're down to the studs (no drywall/backer board) - but, first, I'd leave it alone and look into getting a universal or adaptive attachment bracket or wand made for this purpose.

If you're down to the studs the replacement is so simple.

If you're replacing it with the wall intact then it can be a little tedious - how tedious and exactly what you need to buy/do depends on how it's attached (long/short nails or screws - a tie bar, etc)
You missed the point, there is a reason the mounting bracket does not fit a single gang box. The fixture may not be rated this box.

Brackets are either slotted, which will work here, or round, which will not.

Nec code and UL listing are closely linked. A wrong box will not work.

If the exception applies- cool- if not, replace box.

Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire weighing not more
than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other
boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided
the luminaire or its supporting yoke is secured to the
box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

Well, the good news is that I don't think I need to worry about the old box any more... the bad news is because I just realized it's mounted too low, anyway. The old bathroom just had a builder grade plate glass mirror, the new one is wood framed, with embellishments at the top that precludes the old light installation. And, of course, the mirror, vanity, and wall cabinet are part of a set so I don't think the site super (wife) will permit getting a replacement.

I believe they make old work braces for ceiling fans that are designed to fit into the hole for the box and expand... would this work in a wall application? Or does it require a deeper recess than afforded by wall studs?

But yeah, not only are the walls finished, but beadboard is up, so going down to bare studs would be extremely painful, to say the least.
bsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsims View Post
Well, the good news is that I don't think I need to worry about the old box any more... the bad news is because I just realized it's mounted too low, anyway. The old bathroom just had a builder grade plate glass mirror, the new one is wood framed, with embellishments at the top that precludes the old light installation. And, of course, the mirror, vanity, and wall cabinet are part of a set so I don't think the site super (wife) will permit getting a replacement.

I believe they make old work braces for ceiling fans that are designed to fit into the hole for the box and expand... would this work in a wall application? Or does it require a deeper recess than afforded by wall studs?

But yeah, not only are the walls finished, but beadboard is up, so going down to bare studs would be extremely painful, to say the least.

You may use one of these, but it may be overkill.

One of these may suffice depending on the weight of the fixture.