Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

Proceeding with my renovation plans I have 2 bathrooms I am planning. Currently 1 bathroom is on a circuit with the master bedroom, hall and laundry room. The other is with the 2 other bedrooms. Obviously this needs to change. I'd like to do it correctly, and the anal part of me likes everything as neat and logical as it can be.

As I understand it, I can add a 20 amp gfci breaker for each, and wire everything on it, as long as on each one I don't put anything else? Or perhaps add the breakers and use one of the lights in both, and the other for the receptacles?

In bath 1 I have 4 recessed lights, 2 wall lights, a fan, and 2 outlets.

In bath 2 I have 2 recessed lights, a fan, and 1 wall mounted light and 1 outlet.

My panel is to the left on the plan, and I will come up from the basement. I would think that taking the power to the switches and then on up would make the most sense, but would like to hear from you all on what makes the most logical sense.

Any other issues with the plan? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan-elect_plan_1.jpg  

Advertisement

JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

You are correct that one 20 amp circuit can power the lights and fans if that circuit only serves one bathroom. The other way is that the 20 amp receptacle circuit can serve multiple bathrooms as long as it only powers the receptacles.

Remember that any load like lights and fans reduces the power available for blow dryers and curling irons. This may cause the circuit to become overloaded and trip the breaker.

You could run a 15 amp circuit for the fans and lights in the bathrooms. If it were me I would run a 20 amp circuit for each bathrooms receptacle and another for the lighting that could be shared amongst the two.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,572

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

The only thing in the bathes that needs to change is any receptacles. All the other stuff, lights, fan can stay where they are on the bedrooms circuits.
You could install two separate 20 amp circuits, one to each bath or one 20 amp circuit serving both bath receptacles.
You do not need GFCI breakers. Receptacles are much cheaper.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #4

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

Thanks guys.

I thought the lights over the shower/tub had to have GFCI protection. So using 2 new breakers, one for the lights and another for the receptacles might suit me better. I have another unfinished bath in the basement. In the future I could use these 2 new breakers for it as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
Thanks guys.

I thought the lights over the shower/tub had to have GFCI protection. So using 2 new breakers, one for the lights and another for the receptacles might suit me better. I have another unfinished bath in the basement. In the future I could use these 2 new breakers for it as well.
I don't think, unless the manufaturer says so, the shower lights need to be GFCI. In-shower fans do.

I'd also recommend the 20A dedicated outlet circuits, one per bathroom, and a shared 15a lighting circuit. If you do a shared lighting circuit, just put the junction box where you split to the two bathrooms in a spot where you could easily tap into it for your basement bath.

You could also tap into one of the dedicated outlet circuits for your basement bath, might not be bad if your basement bath isn't used often enough to warrant a dedicated outlet circuit. This would be ok, since the circuits would be "multiple bathrooms, outlets only".

Last edited by secutanudu; 02-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #6

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

That sounds like a good plan. I was trying to do them all on 2 circuits. I have 150 amp service and although I have a few empty places, I still have a lot to do with the kitchen and basement. Right now all of the basement and garage, outside lighting is on 1 and I need to change that (not to mention modernize the kitchen).
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Bathroom(s) Wiring Plan

The size of your service has nothing to do with how many circuits you install. You could install 20 circuits, if you only use 200 watts of power, it's all the same, aside from breaker spaces used up.

You can get tandem (2-in-1) breakers to save space if your panel supports them.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote