Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Remodel GFCI Receptacle

Just finished having bathrooms redone (full gut). Code requires running separate 20A circuit to receptacles (GFCI), which was done.

Light fixtures in hallway (15A) also carried receptacles with no wall receptacles on 20A -- guess this was legal in 1969.

I told the contractor that the hall fixtures would be replaced, but needed a hall receptacle. Forgot to tell the electrician so, before the sheetrock went up, I had the contractor rough in a hall receptacle just outside the bathroom.

This receptacle was not yet connected at job end. My intent was to power from the GFCI in bath and contractor had run wire for same. Was told electrician could not make connection as was not legal. Why?

Lilshaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilshaving View Post
Just finished having bathrooms redone (full gut). Code requires running separate 20A circuit to receptacles (GFCI), which was done.

Light fixtures in hallway (15A) also carried receptacles with no wall receptacles on 20A -- guess this was legal in 1969.

I told the contractor that the hall fixtures would be replaced, but needed a hall receptacle. Forgot to tell the electrician so, before the sheetrock went up, I had the contractor rough in a hall receptacle just outside the bathroom.

This receptacle was not yet connected at job end. My intent was to power from the GFCI in bath and contractor had run wire for same. Was told electrician could not make connection as was not legal. Why?
Because the circuit for the bathroom cannot power anything outside of that bathroom. And it is OK for the hall receptacle to be on the 15 A lighting circuit. Not the most ideal situation, especially if there is alot of other stuff on that circuit, but it is still legal.

InPhase277

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Exactly.

Before the bathroom 20a receptacle became a requirement, a beathroom receptacle was considered just like any other general purpose convenience receptacle. Typically wired in the same circuit as bathroom lights, bedroom outlets, livingroon outlets, etc...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

The code section is 210.11(C)(3) in case you were wondering.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks to all for the explanations. Wanting to do things "right" in this place, guess we go to Plan B and power off adjoining bedroom receptacle.

Codes do change - sometimes for the better and other times, well.....- the reasoning is still good to know. Why a receptacle was ever allowed to be fused to 15A and then to 14-2 still leaves me shaking my head.
Lilshaving is offline   Reply With Quote