Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

bathroom remodel

Small bathroom, 5' x 8', need some electrical advice-

1)Was originally thinking of a Panasonic fan with light, heater, night light, and of course the fan. That will be 4 switches for that one fixture! And I will need a switch for the vanity lights as well. Plus I want the fan to be timed and automatic. It will be better to make the fan automatic than 'train' the wife and boy to run it.

2)Could dump the heater part, but I need some sort of heater as a gift to the wife. Will under tile heat replace the fan heater, or will that just keep the floor warm?

3)I guess I can go with fan only and use other devices for lighting, I was planning on some sort of sconce/wall mount at the mirror.

Would appreciate opinions and comments.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

bathroom remodel

You can get as well as many include a switch setup that handles all of this in a 2 gang box. Also tie the fan light and vanity lights to the same switch. A radiant floor will provide more heat and will be more comfortable then the ceiling HVL unit.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #3

bathroom remodel

Agreed, you don't have to go with a 4-gang box because you can get switches that stack two or three high in one device's width. You might be able to get some sort of timer for the fan...Never seen that done...Try an electric supply house.

As for heat, the electric radiant floor is nice. It is not instant by any means. It'll take some time to heat up the cool floor tile. The benefit of it is that it heats the objects in the room and not the air. I think there are some nifty timers available for these systems so you can set the floor heat to warm up before you get up in the morning...No cold floor that way!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

bathroom remodel

Fan count down timers are very standard and available everywhere. Programmable thermostats or timers can and should be used for the floor heating. look at all the selections here http://www.kitchensource.com/bathroom-fans/controls.htm
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

bathroom remodel

The panasonic fans have settings on them and sensors that will take care of all that for you. It will automatically turn on when someone enters the bathroom and run as long as you want and then shut off after someone leaves. They even have a variable setting to be able to run at a higher speed when you're taking a shower.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom remodel

Ok this isnt as hard as it seems, you can ( if you have wireing experience ) tie the fan and the light together and also if you wanted the heater. Also if you want it to be up to code (no mater where you live) a 2 gain box can hold only so many wires which is something others didnt let you know so if you plan to tie the wires together in the box then make sure it can handle the # of wires you have. Also if you plan to replace any electrical outlets then make sure you go with GFCI outlets for your safty and even if you dont plan to replace the electrical outlet it would be a good idea to for your safty.
todo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #7

bathroom remodel

I went with radiant floor heat = works great!!
We went with a programmable thermostat - well worth the pice

We also went with LED night lights = most stay on 24x7 but use less in one day then a normal 3-5w night light. You can buy a C-7 LED bulb & just leave it on.

That would eliminate 2 switches
My last house I installed a 1 hour timer for an in-wall heater
But for a fan I would only install a 15 minute timer
But they do have fans with a sensor which will turn on automatically
We heat with wood in the winter, so the house is dry
Because of this we don't use the bathroom fan in the winter

I use the 2x & 3x switches
I like single & double boxes only

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote