Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Recessed Lighting

Ok, so I'm continuing my complete remodel of my bathroom. I'm replacing all the drywall on the ceiling and want to make the switch to recessed lighting. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best brand and vendor to buy these from. They'll have to be IC and preferably 4". No need for remodel type, as I have access to the ceiling.

Also, I was considering putting compact flourescent bulbs in here, but have read that the heat generated by the bulb eventually works on the ballasts and causes premature failure. Not sure if there's any true to that? I've also seen CF specific cans, but am not sure what sets them apart? I thought this would have more to do with the design of the bulb and ballast than the can itself.

Thanks, Dan
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
www.handyguyspodcast.com

I didn't think a CFL would fit in most 4" recessed lights.... I have them in 6" recessed.

Paul
borninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

They do make a 4" r-20 flourescent CFL. However, the OP should consider very carefully the choice of recessed cans over more traditional, practical wall mounted fixtures. Recessed lighting would not be my 1st choice for bathrooms, kitchens, or anywhere that typically demands high ambient light levels.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

I will agree with LawnGuySparkyGuy with the bathroom luminiare layout and myself i did see few ressced cans and some were look very terrbale with it.

Quote:
, I was considering putting compact flourescent bulbs in here, but have read that the heat generated by the bulb eventually works on the ballasts and causes premature failure. Not sure if there's any true to that? I've also seen CF specific cans, but am not sure what sets them apart? I thought this would have more to do with the design of the bulb and ballast than the can itself.

normally the CF specifc units are sepeated ballast [ those are hard wired verison ] and they are not the same as the screw in CFL bulbs are [ they are pretty famous for failing in the can useage quite few did state that do not used in the ressced cans at all ]

really I will suggest that you go to the lighting centre or big box store and see their display for the bathroom useage you will see why.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

Do NOT used recessed lighting as your only light source. At the mirrors you MUST have wall mounted lights.

Hold a flashlight under your chin and see what I am talking about.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #6

Thanks for all your feedback. I will definitely be using the recessed lighting in combination with some sort of vanity lighting. However, I'm doing this simply to bring more light into the room. It's a fairly large, full bathroom with a shower and linen closet. For the past 30 years the ONLY lighting in the room has come from the vanity, and after living in this house for 24 of those years, I'm tired of it being so dark! The CF's might not be the best way to go, as I'd understand why they'd be prone to failure in this application. As far as other lighting besides recessed: I have gone to both Home Depot and Lowes just to see what they offer. My problem is this...

I only really have 1 wall to work with as far as lighting goes. The room is very long with a 5 piece bath/shower on one wall adjacent to a linen closet. The opposing wall has our vanity and toilet. The entrance door takes up the bulk of the "short" wall, and the window/shower/toilet are up against the other short wall. A floor plan would probably illustrate this better . But really I only have the wall with the vanity on it as good lighting real estate. Hence the recessed lighting.

Do recessed lights really look that bad in a bathroom when used in conjunction with a vanity light?
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #7

Recessed lighting looks fine in the bathroom if the are not used for the vanity. a wall sconce left and right of the vanity mirror ( 6 feet high ) would give the best vanity lighting. Also switch the vanity lighting at the vanity location.

If you were going to use CFL's why would you use recessed cans?

Recessed lighting is an inefficient light source. In other words more watts of recessed lighting is needed to match the lumen output of surface lighting.

Can the cans and go surface lighting.
NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote