Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #1

Share |

bathroom oulets

Hello there, my question may seem simple but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.
My house has two bathrooms, one downstairs and one upstairs on the other end of the house.
My plan is to put the gfci protected outlets of both rooms on the same dedicated 20A circuit.
I thought that the best thing to do would be to divide the line in a handy box and wire each plugin to "line",with its own gfci oulet. I figure this is better than doing one upstream outlet to "load" as you would need to go all the way to the other bathroom to reset any nuisance tripping that may occur.
Am I thinking correctly ? Thanks

handifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #2

bathroom oulets

It is better to have a separate GFCI in each bathroom. There is no need to use junction box to split them. You can still run from one receptacle to the other. Just don't use the load connections on the GFCI. The less connection points on a circuit the better.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Agent 000

bathroom oulets

If the circuit is going to be dedicated for both bathrooms you could use a GFCI breaker and be done with it, although I think that will be a tad more expensive than just 2 GFCI receptacles... purely a judgement call based on economics and labor to install.

Say, is there any chance there may be 2 hair dryers going at the same time in both those bathrooms? If so you may want to rethink your single circuit strategy.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 AM   #4

bathroom oulets

I like to go with one GFI in each bath, in the event of a trip you don't have to go to the breaker panel.
oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #5

bathroom oulets

If you wire the gfci properly using the line and load you will only need one gfci. They can become expensive and as few times as mine trip(maybe once a year) I wouldnt worry about it.
wooderson is offline   Reply With Quote