Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom must be on separate circuit?

I read somewhere that bathrooms must be on their own circuit. Is that correct? If so, what is the rationale behind it?

My master bathroom is on the same (15 amp) circuit as the master bedroom and the family room/great room. I'm guessing that this came about due to some rodent damage to the wiring---there are a couple of unused circuits and I've spent a lot of time cleaning up the rodent mess since we moved in. I believe I could put the master bath on its own circuit without too much trouble, but I'm wondering whether this is really an important issue or not, since I have lots of other projects that need to get done. Thanks.

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Only your bathroom receptacle(s) are required to be on a separate 20 Amp circuit. You can share that circuit with other bathroom receptacle outlets, if desired.

The lighting can be on a circuit with other lighting, such as a bedroom, family room, etc.

IF you want to put in a dedicated 20 Amp circuit for each bathroom, then the lighting may be combined with the receptacle outlets for that bathroom only.

But these requirements are for new wiring, and may not be enforceable in existing structures.

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

The rationale is that there is alot of high wattage devices used mostly by women, in a bathroom. Also, some folks like to use a portable heater in the bathroom. I don't consider it a terribly pressing issue if your receptacles aren't on a separate circuit in an old work situation. But it is important that they be GFCI protected. If you remodel, it would be a good idea to run a new circuit.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote