Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Lighting Question

I have a light fixture in my bathroom that consists of four lights on a track (See Pictures Attached). I have put about five new bulbs into it over the last 3 months, but the lights rarely work.

Sometime if I tap the light it will come on briefly, so I know its not the bulbs. Is there a way to replace or trouble shoot the individual lights on the track, maybe to replace the white bulb connection (picture) or should I just buy a new fixture?

I'm at a loss, and I don't want to keep buying new bulbs every month.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Lighting Question-2012-12-01_13-53-39_794.jpg   Bathroom Lighting Question-2012-12-01_13-54-24_790.jpg   Bathroom Lighting Question-2012-12-01_13-54-37_447.jpg   Bathroom Lighting Question-2012-12-01_13-55-16_880.jpg  

drklude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Special User

Flip the breaker off and remove the two thumb nuts above and below the center so you can inspect the wiring inside. I ran across the same problem once, what happened was the fixture's stranded aluminum wires had come loose from the solid copper house wiring under the wire nuts. Just had to strip additional insulation from the fixture wires, twist the wires together more securely, and crank the wire nuts down tight.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Also avoid handling the lamps with bare skin. The oil shortens the life. Use gloves when installing the lamps.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

I'll check the wiring connection tonight when I go home. Is there any chance it is something else in the fixture? I only ask because one of the light bulbs works fine. The others are hit or miss. I would think that if the problem is at the source of the fixture connection, then the problems would be present on all 4 bulbs.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Special User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drklude View Post
one of the light bulbs works fine.
Well that information might have been useful from the get-go.

So, when you replace a bulb, does it work for a while before quitting? If you move a bulb from a nonworking slot to the one working slot, does it light up?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

There are connections from each socket to the house wiring.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

Yes, my apologies. New bulbs will work for a few minutes, then they will flicker and go out intermittently. Some sockets just don't work, and another works only when the bulb is pushed slightly to the side. Only one socket works every time all the time with any bulb.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Special User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drklude View Post
Yes, my apologies. New bulbs will work for a few minutes, then they will flicker and go out intermittently. Some sockets just don't work, and another works only when the bulb is pushed slightly to the side. Only one socket works every time all the time with any bulb.
Sounds like you either have weak connections from the bulb holders to the internal wiring, or the bulb holders themselves are cheap crap. Or both. Did you pay a lot for this fixture?

You might be able to buy new bulb holders and thread new wires through the fixture, but unless you really love the fixture, total replacement is probably your best bet.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #9

The "works for a while" symptom indicates something (probably a loose or marginal connection) is heating up. And poor connections heat up faster, because they're a higher than normal resistance.

I'm with tylemt, replace the whole fixture.
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #10

I'm not attached to the fixtures, they were in a house I recently purchased. I just wanted to check and see if there was an easy fix before spending a couple hundred on new lights. Thanks.