Bathroom Lighting From One Source To Two Switches - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Lighting From One Source to two switches

In my home built in 1957 there are many original switches .

Here is my latest question. In my bathroom there appears to be only one source coming in feeding two separate lighting fixtures.

I have a black wire coming in going to one end of the first switch, that same switch (and same location as the black wire coming into it) has another black wire wrapped around it that goes down to the same side of the switch below it (seemingly feeding the second switch)

On the top of the first switch opposite the black wire coming in, that wire is red.

On the bottom switch opposite the wire coming down from the first switch, that wire is black as well.

So on the switches starting on the top left going clockwise it goes Red, Black, (black wire wrapped around going down to the second switch), and black again.

My question is, how do I now wire that set up with a modern combination two switch, switch. Here are some pictures to hopefully help explain, the wire that has threads coming off of it is the wire wrapped around the top right one going down to the second switch. ALSO, there appears to be two white wires taped off not being used.

Advertisement

Last edited by Michblaze02; 11-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Michblaze02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #2

*Bump*

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I have a black wire coming in going to one end of the first switch, that same switch (and same location as the black wire coming into it) has another black wire wrapped around it that goes down to the same side of the switch below it (seemingly feeding the second switch)

Yes you are correct that is the feed for both switches. When you install a new switch over switch you will see on one side of that device there is a copper jumper between the two screws on that same said. Which means you only need to bring the feed to one of those screws. So after you do that you will have the screws on the other side of the device Put the red wire to one of those screws. It doesn't matter what one you put it on. And your remaining black wire put on the other screw .

The switch your looking for is a single pole over single pole.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #4

You the man dSilanskas . I figured that was the configuration, I just wasn't 100% so thought Id ask. Got it all hooked up and looking sexy now .

Thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote