Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom light fixture wiring

Hi, I just bought a house that was built in 1977. I am trying to replace the bathroom light fixture with a new one. The wires comming out of the wall is a red wire, which i assume is hot, and 2 white wires that are tied together. My new light fixture has a black, white and ground wire. Assuming the red is hot, is one of the white wires a ground? Can I just used any one of the two white wires and hook it to the ground of the light fixture?

johnl0958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Wire the new fixture the same as the old fixture. The white is not the ground and does not get spliced to the green.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

I don't think the old one had ground. So for the new one, do i not connect anything to the ground?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

So is it ok to have nothing connected to the ground of light fixture?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnl0958
So is it ok to have nothing connected to the ground of light fixture?
Are you sure there is just a single red wire with two white wires wire nutted together in the fixture? How were the wires connected to the old fixture?
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

ok...after taking a close look, there is one red wire, 2 white wires tied together. the old light fixture had only those two connected. but there is also 2 black wires tied together and i also found the ground.

so i guess now my question is what to do with the red wire?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnl0958
ok...after taking a close look, there is one red wire, 2 white wires tied together. the old light fixture had only those two connected. but there is also 2 black wires tied together and i also found the ground.

so i guess now my question is what to do with the red wire?
Connect the black to the red which is most likely your switched hot, the white to the white (neutrals) and green to ground. The black wires are probably constant power so leave those two wires alone. Is the box metal and is the ground wire looped around a grounding screw attached to the box?
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
Connect the black to the red which is most likely your switched hot, the white to the white (neutrals) and green to ground. The black wires are probably constant power so leave those two wires alone. Is the box metal and is the ground wire looped around a grounding screw attached to the box?

The box in the wall that the light connects to is metal. there are 2 ground wire twisted together, but neither are connected to the box. they come of of the sheathing that wraps around the black, red, white and ground wires.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

The grounds need to be connected to the metallic box and to any grounding fixture wires.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The grounds need to be connected to the metallic box and to any grounding fixture wires.
Can I connect the ground to anywhere in the box or there a specific place that it has to be screwed in?

Also, just out of curiosity, why does the ground have to be screwed into the box?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Licensed electrician

Normally metal boxes have a hole tapped for a 10-32 machine screw.

The box needs to be grounded to prevent it becoming energized by a loose hot wire. If it is not grounded the breaker will not trip and presents a shock hazard.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Normally metal boxes have a hole tapped for a 10-32 machine screw.

The box needs to be grounded to prevent it becoming energized by a loose hot wire. If it is not grounded the breaker will not trip and presents a shock hazard.

I cannot find a place in the box to screw in my ground. But the light fixture comes with a bracket that screws into the metal box and that bracket has a screw for ground. So can I screw in both grounds to the bracket?