Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Heater/Light replacement

Hi - hopefully someone can help! We removed an OLD bathroom Heater light combo and are replacing it with just a light. Went up in the attic and saw two sets of wires, one has 3 one has 4. The switch has one set. Hook up one set to light and nothing comes on, hook up the other set and it comes on but won't turn off with the switch, hook up both sets to the light and it comes on but when you hit the switch to turn it off it turns off the breaker. There was 2 switches one for the heater and one for the light hooked up before, we replaced it with 1 switch, maybe the wrong kind???? Help!

misseykathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Whatamess

You may have hooked hot to hot when you replaced the switch.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #3

How's that? Could you describe how it should be hooked up?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Electrician

I'm going to take a shot in the dark. Using the info you provided, my guess is that the cable with 3 wires in the ceiling has a black, white, and a bare ground. The 4 wire cable has black, red, white, and ground, and my guess is that the switch box also has the 4 wires in it (B,R,W,Gnd).

If so, the 3 wire cable (actually called a 2 wire with ground....i.e. 12-2 w/gnd or 14/2 w/g, etc., depending on the size of the wire itself. The ground isn't counted as a current carrying conductor), would most likely be the incoming power feed source, and the 4 wire (actually 3 wire cable...i.e. 12/3 w/gnd, 14/3 w/g) would be the switch leg.

If this set up is the case in your situation: In the ceiling, the ground wires get connected together along with the ground wire from the light, and if the box is metal, use a bare pigtail jumper to the box. The white from the incoming source feed (you called it the 3 wire) gets connected to the white of the light fixture. Connect the black of the source to the red of the switch leg (you called it the 4 wire). Connect the black of the switch leg to the black of the light fixture. Put a wirenut on the white of the switch leg to cap it off (nothing connected to it).

At the switch box: Connect the ground (bare) to the switch and the box if it's metal using a bare jumper wire. Again, cap off the white wire. Connect the red to one terminal of the switch, and connect the black to the other terminal of the switch.

Again, this is assuming that the cables you have are truly what I think they are from your description. If they are different, tell us what color wires are in the boxes.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

I'll try this afternoon and let you know if it works. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #6

To SD515 - Kyle - You are a lifesaver!!!! I can't thank you enough, you probably saved me a couple hundred on an electrician because I was very frustrated with this issue. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!