Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom heater on gfci>

I am installing a wall mount 120V 1000W heater in a small bathroom. I know it has to be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit with 12-2 nm-b. Does it need to be on a GFCI breaker as well?

It is close to the toilet but about 4 feet from the sink, and farther from the shower.

I live in Portland, Oregon.
marv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Bathroom heater on gfci>

No GFI protection needed, unless there is something in the instructions about it.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have the unit yet, but I'll check the instructions.

One other thing, will it matter if I put it on a timer - 20A also. It's near the heater so the distances still apply. The timer can be reached from the toilet though.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

Bathroom heater on gfci>

GFCI's are for receptacles...not switches or timers or heaters. You are good to go. (unless the mfg. specifies a GFCI...God only know why they would)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Right, that's why I specified the GFCI as a breaker. Sounds like I can wire into a standard breaker without a problem.

I am calling for an inspection next week. I'll post the results and any unique local requirements for Portland (none, I hope) beyond the National 2011 code.

Thanks again for all the good (and timely) advice.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
GFCI's are for receptacles...not switches or timers or heaters. You are good to go. (unless the mfg. specifies a GFCI...God only know why they would)
Many exhaust fans require GFI protection if install over a tub or shower per their instructions....just sayin'.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Bathroom heater on gfci>

You DO NOT need a dedicated 20A circuit or a 20A timer.

If the distance is not too far 15A dedicated is FINE for this. It's only 8A.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #8

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Yep. I understand - 120 vac @ 1000 watts is less than 10 amps. The distance to the breaker is about 65 feet.

However, I bought 250 feet of 12-2 cheap enough, so I am using it for everything in our new bathroom. 20 amps is required for the GFCI receptacle anyway - with water-safe lights, a second receptacle, and a fan on a second timer, all downstream and nothing external to the bathroom (not allowed). The 20 amp timers are $15 each so it's the same story - just using what I have. When it comes to electrical equipment, I believe overkill is better than underkill.

However, I might consider using a 15 amp breaker on the heater circuit if they allow it. I believe that would be legal and maybe a little bit safer, just in case the heater wants to somehow pull more than 15 amps in failure mode. But again, I willl need to read the instructions that come with the heater.

This is mostly educated guesswork on my part. Over the last 30 years I have done a fair amount of wiring - including a 1500 sq ft three-story addition; a new 200 amp service with a required meter main due to the distance, to replace an antiquated Wadsworth 125 amp main; and an underground routed 70 amp subpanel to my workshop (unattached garage) for which two grounding rods were required; all done with permits. Codes change. The inspection will clear it all up.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Many exhaust fans require GFI protection if install over a tub or shower per their instructions....just sayin'.
Right, and it's a ridiculous requirement. just sayin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv45 View Post
However, I might consider using a 15 amp breaker on the heater circuit if they allow it. I believe that would be legal and maybe a little bit safer, just in case the heater wants to somehow pull more than 15 amps in failure mode.
This is a common misconception. It is NOT any safer.
The breaker protects the conductors, NOT the load.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #11

Bathroom heater on gfci>

Thanks, that's good to know. Anyway, the instructions for installing the heater says to use 12-2 wire on a 20 amp breaker as expected, and that's what I'll do.

But, it alternately allows using 14-2 wire on a 15 amp breaker as well. I actually have gone to a 120 vac 750 watt heater, more than enough for our little bathroom, which is less than 50 sq ft.

Fortunately there is no mention of any need for a GFCI, only 3 feet of clearance to any combustibles,and I'm guessing that a toilet is considered non-combustible, although my brother-in-law definitely releases major combustibles from time to time.

I've started pulling wire now and hope to be done in a day or two so I can call for an inspection.

As for the double grounding rods, I was advised many years ago by a good friend who is a also a contractor, when dealing with local inspectors,
since they've got the authority to give or withhold their signature, the best strategy for the average homeowner doing his or her own work is to be submissive.