Bathroom Gutted Redoing Electic - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

bathroom gutted redoing electic

Hey, just a quick question

I have my bathroom gutted and im going to redo the electric tonight. The bathroom right now is shared with the bedroom, basement and garage I dont know why but previous owner did that. Since I am redoing the electric these were my plans.

changing the switch to a dual switch. One will turn on/off the exhaust fan. The other will turn on the vanity lights on each side of the mirror along with the tub/shower light.

For the recessed tub/shower light, I will be getting it from my local home center that specifies shower trim. any recommendations on this?

Then the gfci outlet by the door.

Advertisement

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds fine. Be aware since you're rewiring the bathroom, there are code requirements. The GFCI receptacle either has to be on its own circuit or it can be on the circuit serving the remainder of the bathroom, but if it is combined with the rest of the bathroom that circuit cannot include anything else anywhere in the house (bedroom, hall, etc).

You're correct, you do need a shower trim for the can over the shower. It'll have a removable lens that keeps water from getting up there.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,552

Bathroom receptacle must be a 20 amp circuit as well.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

ok so your saying that i should just have the bathroom on its own circuit and has to be a 20 amp. should i get gfci outlets or just do a gfci breaker? your recommendations would be to run a homerun right to the panel correct without having it shared with any other rooms right? the problem is that i have only a 100 amp
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
ok so your saying that i should just have the bathroom on its own circuit and has to be a 20 amp. should i get gfci outlets or just do a gfci breaker? your recommendations would be to run a homerun right to the panel correct without having it shared with any other rooms right? the problem is that i have only a 100 amp
Yes, it's own 20 amp circuit. Use a GFCI outlet so that if it trips you don't have to stumble off to the basement or garage to reset it.

Yes run a homerun with nothing but the bathroom on it.

100 amp panel is fine and presents no problem.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #6

so no need to get a gfci breaker but what about the recessed light? shouldnt that be directed with the gfci breaker? or is there a way to hook it up to the gfci receptical
Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #7

cant I just wire the recessed light to the gfci receptical so this way the light is protected also?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,552

You don't need a GFCI breaker. A GFCI receptacle is enough. Lights don't need to be GFCI unless over the tub. They can be if you want them. However it not recommended to put lights on GFCI. That way they stay on if you trip GFCI.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #9

yeah it is for my recessed shower light over the tub. should i connect that to the gfci outlet? or thats just too much? how about the fan?
oh yeah and why 20 amps. isnt that over kill? for a small bathroom?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
fix it

Rewards Points: 25

20 amps is required in a bathroom by code. If you're not familiar with a GFCI outlet, they "trip" when they sense a fault and cut the power. They must be manually reset to turn the power back on. You can wire other devices through the outlet, in your case, to provide GFCI protection to them without using a GFCI breaker. The breakers cost more than an outlet and as was mentioned you have wander to your main panel to turn the power back on if it trips.

Last edited by detailedEye; 01-22-2009 at 03:13 PM.
detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailedEye View Post
20 amps is required in a bathroom by code. If you're not familiar with a GFCI outlet, they "trip" when they sense a fault and cut the power. They must be manually reset to turn the power back on. You can wire other devices through the outlet, in your case, to provide GFCI protection to them without using a GFCI breaker. The breakers cost more than an outlet and as was mentioned you have wander to your main panel to turn the power back on if it trips.
cool. I got all my electrical parts yesterday. its hard to get the house ready when your working all 11 hours then after your work day you get to your new house and work on it for 4 and your beat lol... but tonight I will wire everything. do you think the shower/tub light recessed 4 inch 50 watt will be unecessary? or overkill?

Advertisement