Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Fan/Outlets on Same Circuit

I know that bathrooms can be on a 20 amp circuit that feeds outlets and lights in one bathroom, or outlets from multiple baths with lights on a separate circuit. I have a powder room downstairs with one outlet. I am remodeling the main bath upstairs and plan to use this same 20 amp circuit with the one outlet downstairs, so I don't have a dedicated circuit for the outlet in the powder room that will rarely be used. I will thus put the lights on separate general lighting circuits.

My question is regarding the bathroom fan. Can this be on the same circuits w/ the outlets? It is required to be GFCI protected since it will be in a wet room area, though 5-6 feet from the closest shower head. I would normally think that this would need a separate circuit with I guess a GFCI breaker, but inside the fan, the motor has to be plugged into a built in outlet inside of the fan. Does this qualify as an outlet that can be on the 20 amp outlet circuit shared between two bathrooms, or do I need to run a separate circuit for this?

It is my understanding that the lights in the wet room do not need GFCI protection as I am using recessed lights with a trim kit. Is this correct? Would it be a good idea to put them on a GFCI breaker anyway?

Thanks,

Richard

rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschwar
I know that bathrooms can be on a 20 amp circuit that feeds outlets and lights in one bathroom, or outlets from multiple baths with lights on a separate circuit. I have a powder room downstairs with one outlet. I am remodeling the main bath upstairs and plan to use this same 20 amp circuit with the one outlet downstairs, so I don't have a dedicated circuit for the outlet in the powder room that will rarely be used. I will thus put the lights on separate general lighting circuits.

My question is regarding the bathroom fan. Can this be on the same circuits w/ the outlets? It is required to be GFCI protected since it will be in a wet room area, though 5-6 feet from the closest shower head. I would normally think that this would need a separate circuit with I guess a GFCI breaker, but inside the fan, the motor has to be plugged into a built in outlet inside of the fan. Does this qualify as an outlet that can be on the 20 amp outlet circuit shared between two bathrooms, or do I need to run a separate circuit for this?

It is my understanding that the lights in the wet room do not need GFCI protection as I am using recessed lights with a trim kit. Is this correct? Would it be a good idea to put them on a GFCI breaker anyway?

Thanks,

Richard
Usually Bathroom exhaust fans don't need to be installed on a GFCI protected circuit. However, you should be follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions. In most cases if the exhaust fan is installed directly above the bathtub or shower the bathroom fan must be listed as suitable for such locations and must be installed on a GFCI protected circuit. The recessed lights and trim kit need to be properly rated for the location and follow manufacturer instructions about GFCI requirements.

clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

The fan can not be used on the receptacle circuit.
You can add it to the lighting circuit.
The light over the shower nor the fan has to be gfci protected.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

The fan says "U.L. Listed for use over bathtubs and showers when connected
to a GFCI protected branch circuit." What constitutes "over"? is this directly above? As I said, my fan is about 5-6 feet from the nearest shower head, but in an area where the whole floor is a mud pan sloping toward the drain. Basically we have a 3x10 foot area with 2 shower heads on one end, and the toilet on the other end. The fan is on the end above the toilet in the corner. The shower heads are at the far end. There are three recessed lights, with one above one of the shower heads, but the fixtures don't say anything about needing GFCI protection, and I am using shower trims for the recessed lighting. I am not sure how well the seal will be as our tile isn't perfectly smooth on the ceiling, so I may caulk around the trim as well and if I ever need to remove the trim, scrape the caulk off the tile. I'm assuming that because it doesn't say GFCI is needed, that it isn't. Is this a safe assumption when using the shower trim?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

yes, i agree. from what i understand there is no reason to put the fan on a gfci protected circuit.

seo los angeles | web design los angeles
branover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

The shower trim kit is wet location rated and should have a gasket that will help provide a good seal between the trim and the tile.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7

Ok, thanks, I guess that makes it easy and I will just put the fan on the light circuit.

Thanks,

Richard