DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

bathroom fan location without GFCI

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jeffnc 
#1 ·
I posted this in the HVAC forum but I just realized this is probably the proper place for it.

I'm installing a bathroom fan where there never was one before, on an 8' ceiling. It's a new Broan 744C fan with light. When used on a GFCI-protected circuit, this fan is allowed even in the shower ceiling. But I will be wiring it off a non-GFCI circuit. So are there any minimal distance requirements from the edge of the tub/shower? Since codes may vary by location, I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Thanks.

#2 ·
I posted this in the HVAC forum but I just realized this is probably the proper place for it.

I'm installing a bathroom fan where there never was one before, on an 8' ceiling. It's a new Broan 744C fan with light. When used on a GFCI-protected circuit, this fan is allowed even in the shower ceiling. But I will be wiring it off a non-GFCI circuit. So are there any minimal distance requirements from the edge of the tub/shower? Since codes may vary by location, I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Thanks.
If there are....I'm most likley in trouble.

Hopefully the experts like Kbuz, Sparky or Electures will chime in.....but I believe that as long as there are no user accessible connections (like an outlet), it can be on any ckt.

Of course, it could be different in Canada....

#3 ·
That part I am pretty sure if you keep the exhaust fan out of the shower/tub area you don't need GFCI at all unless it is required in your local codes.

I know in USA side it typically anytime out of the tub or shower area it don't need the GFCI protection unless you are in the shower or tub footprint then you have to use the GFCI.

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: NJMarine
#4 ·
I understand that this is a CEC issue, but I will chime in with this one bit of clarification for our US DIYers.

There is no NEC code to GFI protect a exhaust fan over a tub/shower. That is a manufacturer requirement you can find in most (if not all) exhaust fan instructions.

Reactions: frenchelectrican
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.