Bathroom Fan /light (help Asap Please) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Rick

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom fan /light (help asap please)

I have a problem with a house I bought. The problem is the fan and light will work when wired to the wiring but the switch wont turn them off. The wiring is like this at the fan there is 3 wires and all 3 have the white wires twisted together then 2 of the black twisted together then 1 black not connected to anything.when I connect the wires from the fan to the white wires and the 2 black the fan and light work but they wont turn off with the switch. The switch also has a GFCI outlet in it. The outlet has wires gooing to it and it works but the switch has wires going to it and there is nothing to them anyone know what this could be it is an older house and it only has a white and a black wire at the lifhght and switch. any help would be appericated. Thanks Rick

Advertisement

lemoncoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

First off, your writing is extremely hard to understand. Writing in sentences and capitalizing would help clear things up.

From what I can surmise, you have a feed at the fan and a switch loop down to the switch. You seem to also have another cable that is feeding out to somewhere.

FIRST TURN OFF THE BREAKER
You then need to separate all the blacks and whites and cap them all off separately.
Now you need to take a continuity tester and go across the white and black from each cable. Flip the switch as you are testing each set. The ones that give you continuity with the switch on are your switch loop.
Once you know this you can splice the other blacks and whites color for color (black to black, white to white). You then splice the white from the switch loop to the other two blacks. Cap them with a proper wire nut and fold them back into the box or fixture.
You are now left with a single black and a pair of spliced whites. These are what you splice the fan to. Again, color for color.

Turn the breaker on and check your work.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

From what you mentioned, you have power in the box at the fan. Now you have to find the cable going to the switch. The one black wire that isn't connected at the fan box could be the switch leg, as would be it's 'partnered' white wire.

Clarify a couple things...in the fan box you have 3 cables. Each has 1 black and 1 white. One cable brings power in, one probably goes to the switch, any idea what the third cable does? Maybe runs to the switch box to power the GFCI??

How many cables enter the switch box and how are they hooked? You said "The outlet has wires gooing to it and it works but the switch has wires going to it and there is nothing to them". What do you mean about the wires going to the switch and nothing to them?

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Rick

Rewards Points: 10

There are 2 cables entering the switch box. One goes to the GFCI outlet and one goes to the switch but it has no power. I haven't checked it but I think the other wire may power the GFCI outlet. But I am not sure.
lemoncoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

That's what I thought it may have been what you meant, but it's always better to ask and be sure.

Follow Speedy's directions he gave. You will probably find that the black that's capped off along with it's white wire, in the fan, is probably going to be the switch leg. The only thing I will add to his instructions is when you find the switch leg, tape the white wire black at both ends (in the fan box and the sw box). This white taped black will send power to the switch and power will return to the fan on the black.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote