Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85
Share |

Bathroom Fan as Junction Box...

In a recent bathroom remodel, we have the cable that orignally supplied power to the entire bathroom (lights and outlets) off a shared 15 amp circuit (which also used to run the furnace). The light switches are being moved now and the old wire won't reach the new location, the box the wire is connected to is inaccessible (can't change out the wire for a longer cable).

The old power cable will reach where the new bathroom fan (fan only, no light) will be going in at, the proposal is to run the power into the fan, and 14/3 out to the switch box to switch the fan power, and to provide power (and neutral) for the vanity and shower lights. This scenario isn't the ideal way i'd wire it up, but rather than having to deal with another junction box in the furnace room just to extend the old wire seems kinda ridiculous.

Btw, the GFCI outlet will not be connected to this circuit, I already have a 20 amp circuit lined up for this outlet.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

I'd think about separating that furnace from your lighting circuit. The Code does not permit lighting on circuits supplying furnaces.

Quote:
422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating equipment ... shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
(which also used to run the furnace)
Looks like that issue was resolved

I've yet to see any fan box big enough for multiple wires
That said mine has 2 wires going in, it's older wire & #12
A royal PIA to get them in & wired

The electric enclosure for the fan (I think) has to be rated - enough room - to make the connections - same as an electric box
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
I'd think about separating that furnace from your lighting circuit. The Code does not permit lighting on circuits supplying furnaces.
Yeah this issue has already been dealt with, there were too many "other" things on the furnace circuit prior to it actually reaching the furnace that I just ran a new circuit for the furnace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Looks like that issue was resolved

I've yet to see any fan box big enough for multiple wires
That said mine has 2 wires going in, it's older wire & #12
A royal PIA to get them

The electric enclosure for the fan (I think) has to be rated - enough room - to make the connections - same as an electric box
I'll be running one 14/2 in and one 14/3 out, I know what you mean about the space inside the fan housing, I'll have to look to see what the enclosure says when we get the fan. I really don't want to have to put in a new junction box (accessible of course) just to extend the incoming power wire. I already noticed where there is a "buried" junction box up in a ceiling, that is sorta accessible through a recessed light fixture.

So long as the fan housing is rated for the number of wires I am looking to run to it, then this shouldn't be an issue?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Just trust me on this one most bathroom fart fans junction box are freaking small and there is not much room to work around at all.

I wish the fan manufacters pay attetion what we electrician been complain about very small junction box area and it really akward design to boot.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

My new fan/light had more room then the last one
I actually went to swap wires to a 12-3
Then figured out that the wires are coming from different locations

I use a wall switch box to make connections /junction box
In some cases its more wire but well worth it to eliminate a junction box
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I use a wall switch box to make connections /junction box
In some cases its more wire but well worth it to eliminate a junction box
I looked into several options of routing the wire to different locations for an outlet or whatever and the wire is just too short. Part of the problem is dealing with a pocket door; it goes inside the wall and the switches were right on the other side of the door (originally a double thick wall). The remodel involved taking out the extra 2x4 wall to gain a little more space in the bathroom, and then moved the switches and vanity to the opposite end of pocket door.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:06 AM   #8

So finally routed all the wiring for the shower and vanity light, and installed the bathroom fan. Determined there is not enough space to do the connections i'd like to do inside the fan enclosure. Kicking myself now for the TWO buried junction boxes in the hallway ceiling (done several years ago when I was just learning and didn't know any better). They are only kinda accessible through one recessed can light in the hallway, just enough that I can reach the box, but not enough to actually do any work with either one.

Depending on whether or not I can disconnect the short length of wire from the junction box in the ceiling, I might just add another j-box in the furnace room (adjacent to the bathroom and the hallway) to make the splice (of course this time making it accessible). I'd really like to put the hallway recessed can lights on with the stairway lights, though that might be a bit more work with the way things are wired currently. I just hate having 3 switches within 3 feet of each other (each in separate boxes). One is for the 3-way switch to the stairway lights, another for the laundry room lights, and the last for the hallway recessed lights.